分享

TED演讲 | 如何解决焦虑?

 香光庄 2019-08-29

演说者:Olivia Remes

演说题目:如何解决焦虑?

本期TED演讲者Olivia 强调真正解决焦虑的方法,是可以通过改变我们应对问题的机制,相信生活中发生的事物是全面而有意义、甚至可控的,进而可以显著降低焦虑症的风险。

Remark:TED音频下载,网易云音乐搜索主播电台:TED英语演说

如何解决焦虑? 来自TED英语演说 00:00 15:15

中英对照演讲稿

Imagine that you're getting ready to go to a party.
想象一下,你正准备去参加一个派对。

You feel excited, but also nervous,
你感到兴奋,但也很紧张, 

and you've got this feeling in your stomach
而且你的胃里有这种感觉

almost like another heartbeat.
几乎像另一个心跳。

There's something holding you back, holding you back from getting too happy.
有些东西阻碍了你,让你不高兴。

'No, you mustn't get too happy.
“不,你一定不要太高兴。

Better to be cautious, otherwise, something bad might happen.'
最好小心谨慎,否则,可能会发生一些不好的事情。“ 

You start wondering, 'Who should I talk to when I get there?
你开始疑惑,“当我到达那里时,我该和谁说话?

What if no one wants to talk to me? What if they'll think I'm weird?'
如果没有人想跟我说话怎么办?如果他们认为我很奇怪怎么办?“ 

When you arrive at the party,
当你到达聚会时, 

someone comes up to you and starts talking with you,
有人走近你,开始和你说话, 

and as this is happening,
当这发生时, 

your mind starts racing, your heart begins pounding,
你的思绪开始比赛,你的心开始砰砰直跳, 

you start sweating,
你开始出汗了, 

and it feels almost like you're dissociating from yourself,
感觉就像你和自己分离一样

like it's an out-of-body experience, and you're just watching yourself talk.
喜欢这是一种身体外的体验,而你只是在看自己的谈话。

'Keep it together,' you say to yourself, but you can't.
“把它放在一起,”你对自己说,但你做不到。

And it's just getting worse:
而且情况正在恶化:

after a few minutes of conversation,
几分钟的谈话后, 

the person you've been speaking to leaves,
你一直在说话的人离开了, 

and you feel utterly defeated.
而你却完全被打败了。

This has been happening to you in social situations for a long time.
这在社交场合已经发生了很长时间。

Or imagine every time you go out, and you're in crowded places,
或者想象一下每次外出,你都在拥挤的地方, 

you feel this panic starting to arise.
你会感到恐慌开始出现。

When you're surrounded by lots of people,
当你被很多人包围时, 

like on a bus, you start to feel hot, nauseous, uneasy,
就像在公共汽车上一样,你开始感到闷热,恶心,不安, 

and to prevent this from happening,
并防止这种情况发生, 

you start avoiding a lot of places which makes you feel lonely and isolated.
你开始避开很多让你感到孤独和孤独的地方。

You or the person in both of these scenarios
您或这两种情况中的人

have anxiety disorders,
有焦虑症, 

and what I can tell you is that anxiety is very common,
我可以告诉你的是,焦虑很常见, 

much more than people think.
比人们想象的要多得多。

Right now, one in 14 people around the world
现在,全世界有14个人中的一个

have an anxiety disorder,
有焦虑症, 

and each year, it costs over 42 billion dollars
每年,它的成本超过420亿美元

to treat this mental health problem.
治疗这种心理健康问题。

To show you the impact that anxiety has on someone's life,
为了向您展示焦虑对某人生活的影响, 

I will just mention
我只想提一下

that anxiety can lead to depression, school dropout, suicide.
焦虑会导致抑郁,辍学,自杀。

It makes it harder to focus, and to hold down a job,
它使人们更难集中注意力,并且压低工作, 

and it can lead to relationship breakdown.
它可能导致关系崩溃。

But a lot of people don't know this,
但很多人不知道这一点, 

that's why, a lot of times, people sweep anxiety under the rug
这就是为什么,很多时候,人们在地毯下扫除焦虑

as just nerves that you need to get over, as a weakness,
作为一个弱点,你需要克服的神经紧张

but anxiety is so much more than that.
但焦虑远不止于此。

A reason why so many people don't think it's important
这么多人不认为这很重要的原因

is that they don't know what it is.
是他们不知道它是什么。

Is it your personality? Is it an illness? Is it a normal sensation? What is?
这是你的个性吗?这是一种疾病吗?这是正常的感觉吗?什么是?

That's why it's important to differentiate
这就是区分的重要原因

what is normal anxiety from what is an anxiety disorder.
什么是焦虑症的正常焦虑。

Normal anxiety is an emotion that we all get
正常的焦虑是我们都得到的一种情绪

when we're in stressful situations.
当我们处于紧张的情况时。

For example, let's say, you're out in the woods,
例如,让我们说,你在树林里, 

and you come face-to-face with a bear.
你和熊面对面。

This will probably make you feel a little bit anxious,
这可能会让你感到有点焦虑, 

and you'll probably want to start running like crazy.
你可能想开始像疯了一样跑步。

This anxious feeling that you get is good because it protects you, it saves you,
你得到的这种焦虑感很好,因为它可以保护你,它会拯救你, 

and it makes you on a hightail it out of there,
它会让你在那里出击, 

although maybe it's not such a good idea to start running when you see a bear.
虽然看到熊的时候开始跑步也许不是一个好主意。

I really don't think you can outrun a bear.
我真的不认为你可以超越熊。

Anxiety helps us meet our deadlines at work
焦虑有助于我们在工作中完成最后期限

and deal with emergencies in life,
处理生活中的紧急情况, 

but when this anxiety emotion is taken to the extreme
但当这种焦虑情绪发挥到极致时

and arises in situations which don't pose a real threat,
并且在不构成真正威胁的情况下出现, 

then that's when you might have an anxiety disorder.
那时候你可能患有焦虑症。

For example, people with generalized anxiety disorder
例如,患有广泛性焦虑症的人

worry excessively and constantly about everything going on in their lives,
过分关注他们生活中发生的一切, 

and they find it very difficult to control this worry.
他们发现很难控制这种担忧。

They also have symptoms like restlessness, fear,
他们也有不安,恐惧, 

they find it hard to fall asleep at night, and they can't concentrate on tasks.
他们发现晚上很难入睡,他们无法集中精力完成任务。

In spite of whatever kind of anxiety you might be suffering from,
尽管你可能会遭受任何焦虑, 

there is something that you can do to lower it.
你可以采取一些措施来降低它。

It works, and it's simpler than you may think.
它有效,而且比你想象的要简单。

All too often, we're given medication for mental disorders,
我们常常为精神障碍服用药物, 

but it doesn't always work in the long run.
但从长远来看,它并不总是有效。

Symptoms often come back, and you're back to where you started.
症状经常会回来,你会回到你开始的地方。

So here's something else to consider:
所以这里有一些需要考虑的事情:

the way you cope or handle things has a direct impact
你应对或处理事物的方式会产生直接影响

on how much anxiety you're experiencing,
关于你正在经历多少焦虑, 

and if you tweak the way you're coping, then you can lower your anxiety.
如果你调整你应对的方式,那么你可以降低你的焦虑。

In our study at the University of Cambridge,
在我们剑桥大学的研究中, 

we showed that women living in poor areas
我们展示了生活在贫困地区的女性

have a higher risk for anxiety than women living in richer areas.
焦虑的风险高于生活在富裕地区的女性。

These results didn't surprise us, but when we looked closer,
这些结果并没有让我们感到惊讶,但是当我们仔细观察时, 

we found that women living in poor areas,
我们发现生活在贫困地区的妇女, 

if they had a particular set of coping resources,
如果他们有一套特定的应对资源, 

they didn't have anxiety,
他们没有焦虑, 

while women living in poor areas without these coping resources
而生活在贫困地区的妇女却没有这些应对资源

had anxiety.
有焦虑。

Other studies showed
其他研究表明

that people who had faced extreme circumstances,
那些面临极端情况的人, 

who had faced adversity, been through wars and natural disasters,
面对逆境的人,经历过战争和自然灾害, 

if they had coping resources,
如果他们有应对资源, 

they remained healthy and free of mental disorders,
他们保持健康,没有精神障碍, 

while others, facing the same hardships but without coping skills
而其他人,面对同样的困难,但没有应对技巧

went on a downward spiral and developed mental disorders.
进展缓和,导致精神障碍。

So what are some of these coping resources,
那么这些应对资源是什么呢?

and how can we use them to lower our anxiety?
我们怎样才能用它们来降低焦虑?

And before I dive into what they are,
在我深入了解它们之前, 

I'd like to point out - and I think this is so interesting -
我想指出 - 我认为这很有趣 - 

you can develop these coping resources or coping skills on your own
你可以自己开发这些应对资源或应对技巧

through the things that you do;
通过你做的事情; 

you can take charge of your anxiety and lower it,
你可以控制你的焦虑并降低它, 

which I think is so empowering.
我认为这是如此赋权。

Today I'll be talking about three coping resources,
今天我要谈论三个应对资源, 

and the first one is feeling like you're in control of your life.
而第一个感觉就像你掌控着你的生活。

People who feel like they're more in control of their life
那些觉得自己更能掌控自己生活的人

have better mental health.
有更好的心理健康。

If you feel like you're lacking in control in life,
如果你觉得自己缺乏对生活的控制, 

then research shows
然后研究表明

that you should engage in experiences that give you greater control.
您应该参与可以让您获得更大控制权的经验。

I'll show you what I mean:
我会告诉你我的意思:

do you sometimes find that you put off starting something
你有时会发现你推迟了一些事情

because you just don't feel ready enough?
因为你觉得还不够准备好?

Do you find it hard to make decisions
你觉得很难做出决定吗?

like what to wear, what to eat who to date, which job to take up?
喜欢穿什么,吃什么约会,哪个工作要占用?

Do you tend to waste a lot of time
你是否倾向于浪费很多时间

deciding what you might do while nothing gets done?
什么都没做完,你决定做什么?

A way to overcome indecision and this lack of control in life,
一种克服犹豫不决和生活中缺乏控制的方法, 

is to do it badly.
是做得很糟糕。

There's a quote by writer and poet GK Chesterton
作家和诗人GK Chesterton引用了一句话

that says, 'Anything worth doing is worth doing badly the first time.'
这说:“值得做的事情值得第一次做得很糟糕。” 

The reason why this works so well
这之所以如此有效

is that it speeds up your decision-making and catapults you straight into action,
是它加速你的决策,并使你直接行动, 

otherwise, you can spend hours
否则,你可以花上几个小时

deciding how you should go about doing something
决定你应该怎么做

or what you should do.
或者你应该做什么。

This can be paralyzing and can make you afraid to even begin.
这可能是瘫痪,甚至可能让你害怕开始。

All too often, we aim for perfection, but never end up doing anything
我们经常追求完美,但永远不会做任何事情

because the standards that we set for ourselves
因为我们为自己设定的标准

are too high, they're intimidating,
太高了,他们很吓人, 

which stresses us out so we delay starting something,
它强调我们,所以我们推迟开始的事情, 

or we might even abandon the whole thing altogether.
或者我们甚至可能完全抛弃整个事情。

Do it badly frees you up to take action.
这样做会让你自由地采取行动。

I mean you know how it is:
我的意思是你知道它是怎么回事:

so often, we want to do something perfectly we can't start
通常,我们想要做一些我们无法开始的事情

until it's the perfect time, until we've got all the skills,
直到这是一个完美的时间,直到我们掌握了所有技能, 

but this can be daunting and stressful
但这可能是令人生畏和压力

so why not just jump into it just do it however,
所以,为什么不跳进去只是这样做, 

without worrying if it's good or bad?
不用担心它的好坏?

This will make it that much easier to start something
这将使开始更容易

and as you're doing it badly to finish it,
当你做得很糟糕时, 

and when you look back,
当你回头看时, 

you'll realize, more often than not,that actually it's not that bad.
你会意识到,实际上并不是那么糟糕。

A close friend of mine who has anxiety
我的一个好朋友,有焦虑

started using this motto, and this is what she said,
开始使用这个座右铭,这就是她说的, 

'When I started using this motto, my life transformed.
“当我开始使用这个座右铭时,我的生活发生了变化。

I found I could complete tasks in much shorter time periods than before.
我发现我可以在比以前更短的时间内完成任务。

Do it badly gave me wings to take risks, to try something differently,
这是不是给了我风险的翅膀,尝试不同的东西, 

and to have way more fun during the whole process.
并在整个过程中获得更多乐趣。

It took the anxiety out of everything and replaced it with excitement.'
它消除了所有的焦虑,并用兴奋取而代之。“ 

So do it badly, and you can improve as you go along.
所以做得很糟糕,随着你的进展,你可以改进。

I'd like to ask you to think about this:
我想请你考虑一下:

if you start using this motto today, how would your life change?
如果你今天开始使用这个座右铭,你的生活将如何变化?

The second coping strategy is to forgive yourself,
第二个应对策略是原谅自己, 

and this is very powerful if you use it.
如果你使用它,这是非常强大的。

People with anxiety think a lot about
焦虑的人会想很多

what they're doing wrong, their worries, and how bad they're feeling.
他们做错了什么,他们的担忧,以及他们感觉有多糟糕。

Imagine if you had a friend who constantly pointed out
想象一下,如果你有一个经常指出的朋友

everything you're doing wrong,
你做错的一切, 

and everything that was wrong with your life.
以及你生活中出错的一切。

You would probably want
你可能想要

to get rid of this person right away, wouldn't you?
为了摆脱这个人,不是吗?

Well, people with anxiety do this to themselves all day long.
好吧,有焦虑的人整天都这样做。

They're not kind to themselves.
他们对自己不友好。

So maybe it's time to start being kinder with ourselves,
所以也许是时候开始和自己打交道, 

time to start supporting ourselves,
是时候开始支持自己了

and a way to do this is to forgive yourself
而这样做的一种方法是原谅自己

for any mistakes you think
对于你认为的任何错误

you might have made just a few moments ago
你可能刚才做过

to mistakes made in the past.
对过去的错误。

If you had a panic attack and are embarrassed about it,
如果你发生惊恐发作并对此感到尴尬, 

forgive yourself;
原谅你自己; 

if you wanted to talk to someone,
如果你想和某人说话, 

but couldn't muster up the courage to do so,
但无法鼓起勇气这样做, 

don't worry about it, let it go;
别担心,放手吧; 

forgive yourself for anything and everything
原谅自己的一切事物

and this will give you greater compassion towards yourself.
这会让你对自己更有同情心。

You can't begin to heal until you do this.
在你这样做之前你不能开始愈合。

And last but not least,
最后但并非最不重要, 

having a purpose and meaning in life
在生活中有目的和意义

is a very important coping mechanism.
是一个非常重要的应对机制。

Whatever we do in life, whatever work we produce,
无论我们在生活中做什么,无论我们做什么工作, 

however much money we make,
无论我们赚多少钱, 

we cannot be fully happy until we know that someone else needs us,
在我们知道别人需要我们之前,我们不能完全开心

that someone else depends on our accomplishments,
别人取决于我们的成就, 

or on the love that we have to share.
或者我们必须分享的爱。

It's not that we need other people's good words to keep going in life,
这不是我们需要的,别人继续生活的好话, 

but if we don't do something with someone else in mind,
但是如果我们不想与别人做些什么, 

then we're at much higher risk for poor mental health.
那么我们心理健康状况不佳的风险要高得多。

The famous neurologist Dr. Victor Frankel said,
着名神经学家Victor Frankel博士说, 

'For people who think there's nothing to live for
 “对于那些认为没有什么可以生存的人来说

and nothing more to expect from life,
没有什么可以期待的生活, 

the question is getting these people to realize
问题是让这些人意识到

that life is still expecting something from them.'
生活仍然期待着他们的某些东西。“ 

Doing something with someone else in mind can carry you through the toughest times.
与其他人一起做事可以带你度过最艰难的时刻。

You'll know the why for your existence
你会知道你存在的原因

and will be able to bear almost any how; almost any how.
并且几乎可以承受任何方式;几乎任何方式。

So the question is
所以问题是

do you do at least one thing with someone else in mind?
你是否考虑过别人的至少一件事?

This could be volunteering,
这可能是志愿者, 

or it could be sharing this knowledge that you gained today with other people,
或者它可以分享你今天和其他人一起获得的知识, 

especially those who need it most,
特别是那些最需要它的人, 

and these are often the people who don't have money for therapy,
而这些往往是没有钱治疗的人, 

and they're usually the ones
他们通常是那些人

with the highest rates of anxiety disorders.
焦虑症发病率最高。

Give it to them, share with others,
把它交给他们,与他人分享, 

because it can really improve your mental health.
因为它可以真正改善你的心理健康。

So I would like to conclude with this:
所以我想以此结束:

another way you can do something with someone else in mind
另一种方式,你可以考虑别人的想法

is finishing work that might benefit future generations.
正在完成可能使后代受益的工作。

Even if these people will never realize what you've done for them,
即使这些人永远不会意识到你为他们所做的一切, 

it doesn't matter,
没关系, 

because you will know, and this will make you realize
因为你会知道,这会让你意识到

the uniqueness and importance of your life.
你生命的独特性和重要性。

Thank you.
谢谢。

    本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章 更多