分享

TED演讲 | 不要在年轻时,选择安逸!

 香光庄 2019-08-29

演说者:Adam

演说题目:不要在年轻时,选择安逸!

Adam从小成绩优异,20多岁就有一份令人羡慕的稳定高薪工作,但是他依旧时常感到痛苦,觉得这一切不是他想要的生活,陷入了不可自拔的“青年危机”... 来听听他是用什么方法走出危机,从而彻底改变自己的,给正在迷茫的你带来帮助!

Remark:TED音频下载,网易云音乐搜索主播电台:TED英语演说

中英对照演讲稿

I did everything I was supposed to do.I got good grades in high school, I took AP classes,I went to a good college, I got a great job,I climbed the career ladder.
所有该做的我都做齐了。中学成绩优异,上大学先修班,去了间不错的大学, 找了份非常好的工作,事业平步青云。

On paper I had it all.I was making $70,000 a year at the age of 28,I was working for the federal government.I had health care, I had benefits, I had job security.
表面看来我什么都有了。我28岁时年薪就有$70,000,我在联邦政府部门工作。我有医疗保险、福利、工作稳定。

You literally can't get fired from working for the government.Trust me, there are people that should.
如果是为政府工作的话, 你基本是不会被解雇的。虽然有人该被解雇, 信不信由你。

My parents were impressed, my friends were impressed,my boss told me I was doing a great job.
我的父母为我骄傲, 我的朋友都羡慕我,我的上级说我出色能干。

I would go to Happy Hour and tell everyone I was the Special Assistant to the Director of Global Operations at the U.S. Peace Corps,and everyone thought that was so cool.
和朋友出去玩时我会告诉大家,我是美国和平部队全球运营总监的特别助理,谁听了都说我够酷的。

They asked for my business card.I got to sit in on meetings at the White House.Everything was perfect about my job,except for one tiny, kind of important thing: I was miserable.
都管我要名片,我得去白宫开会。这工作怎么看都是一份美差,就是除了一小点,却非常重要的一点: 我很痛苦。

How did I know I was miserable?
我如何知道自己痛苦呢?

Every single morning when my alarm would go off at 6:30 AM to NPR,
每天早上6点30分 我的闹钟准点打开美国国家公共广播台,

I'd feel a shooting pain go up and down my back.
背就会剧烈疼痛,由上至下的,

I felt this pain when I was getting out of bed,
起床的时候疼,

when I was brushing my teeth,
刷牙的时候也疼,

when I was getting dressed and putting on my shirt and tie,
穿衣服的时候疼,打领带的时候疼,

when I was taking the bus down to work, when I scanned my ID badge at the office,
上班搭巴士的时候, 出入办公室刷卡的时候疼,

when I rode up the elevator up to my desk, when I sat at my desk typing memos,
搭乘电梯到我的办公室时, 坐着打备忘录时也疼,

when my boss would invite me to meetings and we'd talk about best practices,
老板叫我去开会 一起讨论最佳方案时疼,

and when my boss would email me every night on my Blackberry at 10 PM.
老板每晚10点还发电邮 到我的黑莓手机时也疼。

The pain was so bad I developed shingles on my side.
这剧痛如此煎熬难耐 我身上都长带状孢疹了。

Shingles in a nerve disease common in people over the age of 70,
带状孢疹是种神经性疾病, 患者多是70多岁的老人

not 20-somethings.
不是20多岁的年轻人。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

This was the pain of confusion.
那是一种困惑之痛。

It was the pain of climbing this career ladder to success
痛在意识到最终事业有成时

and realizing that I was nowhere.
却发现不是自己想要的。

I was somewhere I didn't want to be.
得来的不是我想要的。

I was stuck in a quarter-life crisis.
我陷入四分之一人生危机中。

I was spending a lot of time on Facebook overdosing on FOMO, Fear of Missing Out,
我把很多时间耗在Facebook上 生怕错过什么,

comparing myself to what my friends were doing.
总把自己和朋友比来比去

So there was my friend going off to business school
比如有个朋友要报读商学院,

and I was like, 'Maybe I should get my MBA.'
我就想:“也许我也得读个MBA吧?”

And there was my friend going to teach at a charter school,
有个朋友要去一间特许学校教书,

and I was like, 'Maybe I should work at a charter school.'
我就想:“也许我也 应该去特许学校找份工作。”

And there was my friend opening a food truck,
有个朋友搞了个流动餐车的生意,

and I was like, 'Maybe I should open a food truck,
我又想:“也许我也该搞辆餐车,

even though I'm an awful driver and a really bad cook.'
虽然自己的车技不怎么样, 厨技更糟糕。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

And so there was a buddy of mine, he'd already graduated
然后呢,我有个好朋友,已经毕业,

from one of the top law schools in the country,
读的是全国首屈一指的法学院,

he got this amazing job at one of the top corporate firms,
之后在一家数一数二的公司供职,

making well over six figures, and he's got it all figured out,
年薪6位数字, 生活都安排的妥妥当当的

and there he is traveling with his girlfriend in Peru,
还和自己的女朋友去秘鲁旅行,

getting engaged at sunset in front of Machu Picchu.
打算在马丘比丘欣赏日落时向她求婚。

And I'm like 'Man! This guy has got it all figured out.
我想:“哇,这家伙行啊。 什么都尽善尽美啦。

He's got this amazing job, he's going to get married,
有份好工作,很快就要娶老婆了,

he's at Macchu Picchu, I hate my job, I hate my life,
他在马丘比丘乐着, 而我憎恨自己的工作,自己的生活,

I can't even get a date on OkCupid, my life is ruined!'
我连恋爱网上的女孩都约不到, 生活真是苦不堪言。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

I'm a goner!
我完蛋了!

It was only when I met other young people going through the exact same thing
到了后来我终于遇上了 和我处境一样的年轻人

that I was able to turn my quarter-life crisis into a breakthrough.
我的四分一人生危机 才得以扭转过来。

So this talk is going to teach you a few lessons I learned on my journey
今天这个演讲是为了教大家 几个我自己一路学来的教训。

that can help anyone that's stuck in a quarter-life crisis
希望能帮助那些也在经历 四分一人生危机的人。

or help you avoid your quarter-life crisis and find meaningful work.
或者是帮你绕过四分一人生危机 找到有意义的工作。

So the first lesson I learned:
我学到的第一个教训:

find believers.
结识有信念的人。

Surround yourself with people that believe in the beauty of their dreams
你的周围要有那些能看到梦想的魅力、 相信自己梦想的人。

because I used to come home in D.C. every night to my roommate Dan,
以前我在华盛顿的时候 每晚回到家里,就会看见室友Dan,

and I'd be like 'Dan, I hate my job, I don't want to do this anymore,
我就会对Dan说:  “Dan,我厌恶这份工作, 我真的不想再干下去了,

I want to move across the country, I want to live in San Francisco,
我想横跨国土, 搬到旧金山去住,

I've always wanted to live there, I want to start writing,
我一直想在那里住的, 我想开始写点东西,

I want to start being creative, I want to support social entrepreneurs,
我想开始做点有创意的,我想去支持那些社会创业人士,

I want to support young people that are going after their dreams.'
我想去支持那些 想实现自己梦想的年轻人。”

And Dan would look at me, stare, roll his eyes, take a swig of beer,
而Dan呢,就会面朝我看着,直瞪着, 翻翻白眼,呷口啤酒,

and say 'Smiley, suck it up.'
然后就说:“Smiley, 吃屎也得忍着。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

'Everyone hates their job, it's part of life.'
“谁不讨厌自己的工作? 生活都这样。”

And I was like, 'Man! You know, that's kind of brutal.'
然后我就说,“大佬! 你不觉得这有点残酷吗!”

I was 28 at the time which is old, but it's not that old.
我才刚28岁, 不年轻,但也不是很老啊。

I didn't want to spend the next 40 years of my life depressed.
我不想在未来的40年都这样过了呀。

But you know what?
但是有你知道吗?

The majority of the world thinks like Dan.
世界大多数人都和Dan想的一样。

70% of Americans are disengaged at their jobs.
70%的美国人对自己的工作 毫无心思可言。

70%!
70%!

One fifth of those people are so disengaged,
那群人当中的五分之一 是如此因心不在焉,

they're actively undermining their coworkers' work.
他们甚至专门破坏同事的工作。

They're literally getting paid
他们根本就是在拿着薪水

to mess things up for the company that they work for.
搞破坏 破坏自己在供职的公司。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

And this is a shame.
简直令人羞愧。

It's a shame because millions of people wake up every day unfulfilled, depressed,
令人羞愧是因为有数百万人 每天起来的感觉就是空虚、郁闷,

not showing up fully for themselves, their families, their communities,
没有为他们自己、家人,社会 尽心尽力

or the world at large.
没有为世界尽心尽力。

So then I met believers.
然后呢,我结识了几位有信念的人。

I went to a leadership program
我去参加了一个领袖计划

that bring together 20-somethings 
这计划把20多岁的小年轻组织起来 

interested in creating social change,
一群有志于制造社会变化、社会创业、

social entrepreneurship, and using business for good.
把商业活动用于有益的事情上面的人。

The program was called StartingBloc and at StartingBloc I met believers.
这计划叫“起跑器”, 在那里我结识了有信念的人。

I met people like Debbie.
我认识了像Debbie这样的人。

Debbie was starting GoldieBlox,
Debbie创建了GoldieBlox,

a toy company that teaches young girls engineering skills.
是一间玩具公司, 专教女孩子们工程技术。

I met people like Ted.
我认识了像Ted这样的人。

Ted started MoneyThink, which is a nonprofit
Ted 创建了MoneyThink, 是个非盈利组织

that teaches financial literacy and entrepreneurship to urban youth.
专门向城市少年 教授财政和创业方面知识。

I met people like Tom.
我认识是象Tom这样的人。

Tom started Rising Tide Car Wash, a small business in South Florida
Tom在佛州南部创建了 Rising Tide Car Wash的一个小公司

with his father, that employs people with autism.
与父亲一起创建的,专雇用有自闭症的患者。

So I met these believers and they're like, 'Wait a second Smiley,
当我认识的他们的时候, 他们都说, '先别忙,Smiley,

you want to leave D.C., move to San Francisco,
你想离开华盛顿, 想搬到旧金山,

start writing, start supporting social entrepreneurs?
开始写作, 开始做支持社会创业者的工作?

You have to do that, the world needs you to do that!'
你得说干就干啊, 这世界很需要你的支持!“

Because a crazy thing happens when you find believers:
你知道吗,当你遇到有信念的人的时候 有件预想不到的事情也会发生:

you find accountability.
你遇上'落实责任'.

Normally in the real world,
一般来说,在现实中,

you tell someone you're going to quit your job and they're like,
假如你对某人说你要辞职,他们会说,

'Yeah dude, you said that six months ago.
”嗨,这事你说了有6个月了吧。

Everyone's going to quit their job. Whatever. You're not going to do it.'
人人都会说要辞掉工作。 随便,你才不会辞呢。“

You tell someone you're writing a book:
假如你告诉某人说你想写本书:

'Everyone's writing a book, I'll believe it when I see it.'
”人人都说要写书。你真写出来我就信。“

Not when you tell believers,
要是对方是有信念的人, 他们就不会这样。

because when you tell believers you have accountability.
因为有信念的人听了之后, 责任就落你身上了。

I told my buddy Evan that I was going to quit my job at StartingBloc.
当我告诉在'起跑器'项目的老友Evan说 我要辞工时,

And you know what he asked me? One simple question: when?
你猜他问我什么? 就一简单问题:几时?

When are you going to have the talk with your boss?
打算什么时候和老板谈这事?

And he texted me every single week after the program:
领袖计划之后他每周都给我短信:

Have you had the talk with your boss yet? Have you had the talk with your boss yet?
跟你老板谈那件事了吗? 跟你老板谈那件事了吗?

I'd be in meeting with senior officials at the White House
我在白宫和那些高级官员开会的时候

getting texts and calls from this guy 
也会收到这家伙给我来的短信和电话,

and I was like,
搞到我要说,

'Stop calling me, you're going to get me arrested!'
“别电我啦,你会搞到我被抓去坐牢的!”

But you know what?
可是你知道吗?

The only reason I did have that talk with my boss,
最终致使我找了老板谈辞职的事的,

the only reason I did quit my job,
致使我把工作辞掉的,

I did move across the country to a city I wanted to live in,
致使我横跨国土搬到我现在住的地方的,

the only reason I did write a book,
致使我写了一本书的,

the only reason I started supporting social entrepreneurs,
致使我开始做支持社会创业者的,

and the only reason I'm standing here right now
致使我站在这里做这个演讲的原因

is because people like Evan held me accountable.
是因为象Evan这样 使我落实我对自己的责任的人。

Because when you find believers, you find accountability.
因为当你遇到有信念的人时, 你就知道要落实责任。

(Applause)
(掌声)

Thank you.
谢谢大家。

(Applause)
(掌声)

People like Debbie and Ted and Tom weren't talking about making lots of money.
像Debbie、 Ted、 Tom这样的人 他们谈论的不是赚多少钱。

They weren't talking about rising up the corporate ladder,
谈论的不是如何 在职途上平步青云,

getting featured in TechCrunch or Fast Company.
不是在TechCrunch 或Fast Comany做风云人物。

They were talking about
他们谈论的是

making the world more innovative, compassionate, and sustainable.
让世界更加革新、 更加有同情心、 更具持续性。

They were talking about using their access, their privilege,
谈论的是如何利用 自己的门路、优势和技能

and their skills to empower people less fortunate than them.
去赋力于不如自己幸运的人

Because the success symbol for my generation, for our generation,
我这一代人、我们这一代人的成功标志

isn't climbing the career ladder, it's doing work that matters.
不是职途进阶,而是做有意义的工作。

So we're not the 'me me me' generation.
我们不是 “我、我、我”一代。

50% of millennials, that's most of you in this room,
50%的千禧一代,即在座的大部分人

would take a pay cut to find work that matches their values.
都会宁愿减薪水去做一份 符合自己价值观的工作。

90% of millennials want to use their skills for good.
90%的千禧一代 都想把自己的技能用到有益之事上。

Despite unprecedented levels of unemployment and student debt,
虽然目前的失业率 和学生债务之高前所未有,

our generation wants to work with purpose.
我们这代人还是想做有意义的工作。

So how do you actually find meaningful work?
那么,如何能找到有意义的工作呢?

Well, the second lesson I learned
这就是我学到的第二个教训了。

is that you have to stop comparing yourself to others
就是,你一定得停止拿自己和别人比,

and start pursuing what is meaningful to you.
着手追求你认为有意义的事情。

I went back and interviewed my friend,
我后来去访问了我的老友,

the corporate lawyer that had it all figured out,
就是那个生活事业样样顺利的商界律师,

was married, got engaged at Machu Picchu.
那位结了婚,在马丘比丘订婚的仁兄,

I was like 'Man, you got a great job, you're making all this money,
我问他:“老兄, 你事业奇棒赚着这么多钱,

What's the secret?'
有什么秘籍吗?”

And you know what he told me?
你猜他怎么说?

He told me that after three years of law school,
他对我说读法律学院三年,

hundreds of thousands of dollars in student debt,
欠了几十万学费债务,

and now making all this money at the corporate firm,
现在在商务法律行工作的确赚的钱不少,

that he was miserable as a corporate lawyer,
但就是非常厌恶商务律师这份工作,

and that he was going back to grad school at the age of 30
目前以30岁之龄打算重读研究生

to become a high school social studies teacher.
转行去中学教社会学。

Right?
看到了吧?

(Applause)
(掌声)

Which is great for him, but what's the lesson?
得恭喜他,同时各位 看到这里有个什么教训吗?

What's the lesson?
什么教训?

Nobody knows what they're doing. Nobody has it figured out.
就是没人知道自己在干什么。 没人想得出来。

The grass is always greener.
看到的总是别人都比自己过得爽。

Instead of comparing yourself to others,
与其老是和别人比,

instead of comparing yourself to everyone on Facebook,
与其把自己和Facebook上 的张三李四比,

start figuring out what it is that you want.
不如好好想想你自己想干什么。

Don't climb the career ladder to nowhere; build a career that matters to you.
不要只忙于毫无意义的升职加薪; 把精力放在你在乎的事业上面。

So why are you here?
因此,想想你今天来这的目的是什么?

What do you want to do for others?
你想为别人做些什么?

How can you align your own gifts, your unique gifts,
你如何把自己的天赋 自己独一无二的天赋结合到

with the impact you want to have on the world
你想为世界作出影响的行动上

in a way that supports your desired quality of life?
同时又符合你想拥有的有质量的生活?

You know what the beautiful thing about meaning is?
大家知道‘意义’ 的美妙之处在哪里吗?

The beautiful thing about alignment?
多方结合的美妙之处是 在哪里吗?

There is no one answer.
美在可以有很多答案。

No two peoples' definitions are the same.
没有两个人的定义是相同的。

I don't know what's right for you.
我不知道你该做什么。

I'm still trying to figure out what's right for myself.
我连自己该做什么都还没想好呢。

Now, Debbie, she started GoldieBlox because of the discrimination she faced
Debbie创建了GoldieBlox是因为

as one of the only female engineering students at Stanford University.
她在史丹福大学作为极少数 读工程系女生的时候被歧视。

Ted started MoneyThink because when he was growing up in Chicago,
Ted 创建了 MoneyThink 是因为他在芝加哥长大时,

he realized he had a lot of opportunities due to his privilege
意识自己能有很多机会都是 因为家庭条件的优越

that his peers simply didn't have.
而很多同龄人却没有。

And Tom started Rising Tide Car Wash
而Tom创建 Rising Tide Car Wash

because he saw how hard it was for his own brother to find a job
是因为体会过自己的亲兄弟 之所以找不到工作

because his own brother has autism.
是因为有自闭症。

So they had a personal connection to their work.
他们的本人和自己的工作 都息息相关的。

Meaning is personal, so what makes you tick?
‘意义’和人本身一定是息息相关的。所以,你最关心什么呢?

Not your parents, not your boss, not your friends on Facebook.
不是父母、不是老板、 不是Facebook上的那些朋友

What makes you tick? Why are you here?
你最关心什么?是什么原因把你引到这里来了?

How will you create your own path?
你想如何建立自己的道路?

The third lesson I learned is that you have to start hustling.
我学到的第三个教训就是 你得有所行动。

You have to start hustling with intention, you have to start hustling with purpose.
你的行动得有心, 你的行动得有目标。

A lot of people like to call our generation lazy,
很多人都喜欢说 我们这一代懒惰,

'the lazy generation.'
‘懒惰的一代’。

It's like, are you kidding me? Lazy?
开玩笑!懒惰?

I've been working for 10 years since college
我从大学毕业后 工作了10年了。

and I still owe Sally Mae $10,000 in student loans.
在Sallie Mae(美最大学生贷款公司)那我还欠着$10,000学生债务。

So Sally Mae if I ever see you on Tinder, I'm swiping left.
Sallie Mae听着, 如果我在Tinder上看见你即刻删除。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

Debbie, and Ted and Tom weren't working four hours a week,
Debbie、 Ted 和 Tom 可不是每周工作4小时。

they were working 40, 50, 60 hours a week on something they cared about.
他们每周工作40、50、60个小时 全为了和自己息息相关的事情。

Now why would you want to automate something that brings you joy?
大家想想,能为你带来快乐的事情 你怎可以不亲自安排呢?

Why would you want to automate something that impacts the world, impacts others?
对社会、别人有重大影响的东西 你怎可以不亲手创建呢?

These people weren't automating, they were hustling.
这几位朋友都没有置之不理, 他们都主动地亲历亲为的。

They were working hard on something that matters.
对于自己关心的事情 他们埋头苦干。

I was working four different jobs when I was writing a book
我在写书的那段时间 得干四份工作。

because I had to pay rent and pay my loans.
我得交房租、还贷款。

A lot of people hear my story and they're like,
很多人听我的事迹的时候的反应都是:

'I got to quit my job tomorrow, I'm out! Peace!'
“我明天得辞工了。不干了。不再苦恼!”

That's not my message, that's not what I'm saying.
那可不是我想说的, 我根本不是那个意思。

A lot of you may have heard of Debbie and GoldieBlox,
在座很多可能都 知道Debbie 和 GoldieBlox,

but what you might not know is
但也许不知道

she had a full time job while she was starting that company.
Debbie在筹建那间公司的时候 自己是做着一份全职的。

She was working as the marketing director for a jewelry company in San Francisco.
当时她在旧金山 一间珠宝公司当市场总监。

She stayed on at that job for nine months after she had the idea for GoldieBlox.
她有了创建GoldieBlox的想法之后 还在那公司做了9个月。

Why?
什么原因呢?

First of all, she knew she was going to start her own business
首先,她知道将来要开创自己的事业。

so she needed to save money, a very practical reason,
这得积蓄点钱。很实际的原因。

but second of all, she felt like she was getting paid to go to business school.
其次,她感到好比是拿着薪水读商学院,

Rather than pay a lot of money to go get an MBA, she was earning a paycheck
不用交一大笔学费去读MBA, 在有收入的同时

and learning invaluable skills in marketing, retail, distributions, sales
能学到很多宝贵的市场、零售、 渠道和销售技能。

she knew she would be able to apply to her own business
她明白这些都能用在将来自己的事业上,

when she left and started her own company.
当她离开去自己创业的时候。

So you don't have to quit your job tomorrow.
所以你不需明天就辞工的。

As a matter of fact, you don't even need to have a job.
事实是,你可能也不需先有份工作。

I'll tell the story of my friend Bernat.
说一个我朋友Bernat的故事给大家听。

So I met this crazy guy once in San Francisco.
有一次在旧金山我碰到个奇人。

I'm biking home and suddenly this stranger starts talking to me.
当时我在骑着单车回家, 有个陌生人就前来搭讪。

He's like, 'Hey man, how's your day going?'
说:“嗨老友,今天 过得怎样啊?”

I'm like, 'I don't know, leave me alone, I don't know you.'
我就说,“不知道, 别烦我。我不认识你。”

He keeps biking alongside and is like,
他骑着车子,还是一直 跟着我旁边。

'Hey, I just got here from Spain, I'm looking for a job.
“嗨。我刚从西班牙来, 在找工作呢。

I'm like, 'I don't know you, leave me alone.'
我就是说,“我也不认识你啊, 别烦我啦。”

He's like, 'I just moved from Barcelona, I'm a really good UX/UI designer,
他说,“我从巴塞罗那来, 我对用户体验设计很在行,

I've had six interviews this week.
这星期里去了6个面试,

If I don't get a job I have to go back to Spain,
如果找不到工作的话, 我就得回西班牙了。

I need a work visa to stay here in the U.S.
我得有个工作签证才能待在美国。

There's not many jobs in Spain, I really want to stay.'
西班牙没多少工作做, 我很想在这待下去。”

And I was like, 'Actually, my best friend was living in Barcelona,
然后我说,“其实,我有个老友 就住在巴塞罗那,

it's a beautiful city, let me check out your website,'
是个蛮漂亮的城市, 我去瞧瞧你的网站吧。”

He said, 'What are you working on?' I said, 'Well, I'm writing this book.'
他又问,“你在搞什么?” 我说,“在写本书呢。”

He goes, 'Do you have a cover designer?' and I said, 'No, not yet.'
他问,“找了人设计封面了吗?” 我说,“还没呢。”

So I go home, I check out his website
然后我回到家,就去看他的网站。

and I was like, 'Wow, this guy is a pretty good designer.
看后顿时, “哇,这家伙设计有点水平呢。

He's pretty kick-ass, he's awesome.'
很厉害呢。”

So I was like, 'Hey Bernat, maybe you could design my book cover.'
然后我就说,“嗨,Bernat, 也许你可以帮我设计封面。”

And then I posted on Facebook, 'Hey, just met this crazy guy,
然后我就在Facebook上出了个帖, “嗨,刚认识了位奇人,

Bernat from Barcelona, does anyone need a designer?
巴塞罗那来的Bernat,谁要找设计师吗?

I know a lot of people in startups, maybe Bernat can help you.'
我知道很多人在创业, Bernat可能可以帮到你呢。”

Five minutes later my friend Yi comments.
5分钟之后我的朋友Yi就响应了。

He's like, 'My friends are starting a startup in Palo Alto,
说,“我有朋友在帕罗 奥图(美国加州城市)刚创业,

there's three of them, they don't really know what they're doing,
就3个人,现在什么头绪都没有,

they could use a designer.'
倒真能借用他的设计的。”

So Bernat meets with this team, they hit it off,
然后Bernet就去见了这个团队, 一见如故,

he gets hired as their lead designer, it's a four person team.
他们请了他做主设计, 这就变成一个4人团队了。

He's super excited, he texts me, 'Smiley, thank you, I got this job!'
Bernet兴奋冲天,发短信给我, “Smiley,蒙贵助,我找到工作啦!”

And I'm like 'Thank you, man, you made the ask.'
我就说“谢你才对啊, 是你自己要问的啊。”

So it goes by, he helps me design this book cover,
之后他就帮我设计了书的封面,

and then about six or seven months later I got a text from Bernat:
六七个月之后我收到Bernat短信:

He's like, 'Smiley, I'm taking you out to dinner, anywhere you want to go.'
他说,“Smiley, 我想请你吃饭, 你说去哪我们就去哪。”

I was like, awesome, I want to get taken out to dinner, great.
我想,好啊,我也想 有人请我吃饭啊。太棒了。

We went out to dinner and I said, 'What's going on man? What's up?
我们就出去吃饭了,然后我问, “怎样,都好吗?最近怎样?

Why are you taking me out?
什么事要请我吃饭?

I have some money, I'm a writer, I'm mostly broke,
我钱是有一点, 穷写书的,剩下的也不多了,

but we can split the check or something.'
不过我们可各自付账什么的。”

And he goes, 'You know the company I started working for after I met you?'
他说,“你还记得我认识你 之后我去的那家公司吧?”

I was like, 'Yeah.'
我说,“记得啊”

They had just been acquired by Yahoo for 80 million dollars.
“他们刚刚被Yahoo收购了, 卖了8千万美元大洋。”

(Gasps).
(惊)

Right?
看到了吧?

It's a small team, like four or five people, so Bernat had equity,
他们的团队挺小的,就四五个人, 所以Bernat有份额的。

he was one of the first people on the team.
他是团队的元老队员。

He was thanking me and I'm like, 'You should thank yourself.'
他谢我,我就对他说, “你得谢谢你自己。”

You know why?
知道为什么吗?

Because Bernat made the ask.
因为是Bernat自己主动到处问的。

He talked to a random stranger on a bike in a city that he didn't live in,
他骑在单车上,在不是自己住的城市里, 随机问了一个陌生人,

in a country that he's not even from.
这里甚至都不是他自己的国家。

He made the ask.
但他主动开口问了。

So do not let being a beginner limit your hustle.
所以千万不要因为你是新手上路 就不主动出击。

Take a risk, sign up for the class, volunteer, go abroad, work abroad,
冒一点点险,参加个进修班、 做义工、去旅行、到海外工作去、

launch a crowdfunding campaign.
开展一个向群众募资的运动。

(Cheers) (Applause)
(呼声)(掌声)

Thank you.
谢谢。

(Applause)
(掌声)

Start the blog, build that website, make the ask.
开个部落格、建个网站、迈开步伐。

People will support you when you start working with purpose.
当你开始有心有谋地做一件事时 周围的人会支持你的。

Now this isn't about finding your one calling or your one purpose,
我说的不是怎样找到神召 或找到你最终目标,

because I don't think that that's possible.
那是不可能的事。

I think I've already had eight callings, and I'm only 31,
我想我似乎已经有过 8个神召了,还只是31岁而已。

which is not that old, I swear.
我保证这年纪一点不老。

But I am saying that if you find believers now,
我只想说,假如你现在 能遇上有信念的人的话,

if you stop comparing yourself to others now,
假如现在就不再 把自己和周围的人比的话,

and if you hustle to pursue what is meaningful to you now,
假如你马上行动去追求 对你来说是有意义的事情的话,

you will change your life, you will change the lives of others,
你就能改变你的生活, 你就能改变别人的生活,

and you will change the world.
你就能改这世界。

(Applause)
(掌声)

People like Debbie and Ted and Tom changed my life.
像Debbie、 Ted、 Tom 这些人改变了我的生活。

They're the only reason I'm standing here right now
是他们令我今天能站在这里,

and not sitting at home on Facebook depressed,
而不是宅在家里对着Facebook 抑郁难熬,

worrying about what all my friends are doing, worrying about my friend,
老想着所有的朋友都干什么呢, 想着那位我说的

the corporate lawyer that doesn't even want to be a corporate lawyer.
那位讨厌自己工作的律师朋友。

Because when you pursue meaningful work, you inspire others to as well.
当你追求有意义的工作时, 你也在激发其他人。

You insure that the workforce of the future will be spending its days
你力保了未来的劳动力把时间及资源

empowering girls to become engineers,
用于培养女孩们成为工程师,

teaching financial literacy and entrepreneurship to urban youth,
教育青年学会金融基本和创业知识

employing people with disabilities,
雇用残障人士,

and ensuring that every single person in this room and those not in this room
力保在座的每一个人 和不这里的每一个人

reaches their full potential.
都能把自己天赋发挥到极致。

(Applause)
(掌声)

So you can call us idealistic,
你可以把我们称为理想主义者,

you can certainly call me idealistic, I mean my name is Smiley
你尽管说我是理想主义者, 我的名字都叫Smiley

(Laughter)
(掌声)

but we are not the 'me me me' generation.
但我们不是“我、我、我”的一代。

We are the purpose generation,
我们是有目标的一代,

and we will be engaged with our work because we have to.
我们投入工作是因为 我们一定要这样做。

(Applause)
(掌声)

The challenges facing our generation are simply too serious to ignore.
我们这一代面对的挑战太大了, 不能轻率待之。

They're too serious to only worry about on the weekend,
挑战太大了, 不能只在周末才关心它,

or too serious to only worry about after 5 PM.
或只在每天 下午5点后才关心它。

We can't be stuck in a high school crisis,
我们不能总停留在高中生危机,

a quarter-life crisis, a third-life crisis, or a mid-life crisis.
四分一人生危机, 三分一人生危机,或中年危机。

We can't climb the career ladder to nowhere.
我们不能毫无目标地只为升职加薪而活。

The stakes are too damn high.
赌注太大了。

Thank you.
谢谢大家。

(Applause).
(掌声)

    本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章 更多