分享

TED演讲 | 只有行动起来,才能实现你的目标!

 香光庄 2019-08-29

演说者:Larry Smith

演说题目:只有行动起来,才能实现你的目标!

为什么有一些人注定不会有所成就,即使他们想有所成就?因为他们害怕失败,更害怕因失败被别人取笑,所以宁愿选择去找诸如“我不是天才”、“成功都得有一定的运气,我运气不好”等等借口,而不去行动起来。所以,别再找借口了,行动起来吧,这样才有可能实现你的目标。

Remark:TED音频下载,网易云音乐搜索主播电台:TED英语演说

只有行动起来才能实现你想要的 来自TED英语演说 00:00 14:59

中英对照演讲稿

Thank you.I want to discuss with you this afternoon,why you're going to fail to have a great career.
感谢大家,今天下午,我想和你们探讨一个问题。为什么你们不会拥有一番伟大事业。

I'm an economist.I do dismal.End of the day, it's ready for dismal remarks.I only want to talk to those of you who want a great career.
我是个经济学家。我说让人沮丧的话。一天又结束了, 是时候来些沮丧言论了。我只想和你们中那些想做大事的人谈。

I know some of you have already decided you want a good career.You're going to fail, too.
我知道你们之中有些人已经决定 只想要个比较好的事业。额,你们一样会失败。

Because -- goodness, you're all cheery about failing.Canadian group, undoubtedly.
因为...... 天啊,你们都为失败欢呼。你们是加拿大来的吧,毋庸置疑。

Those trying to have good careers are going to fail,because, really, good jobs are now disappearing.
那些想拥有好事业的人之所以会失败,因为,说真的, 如今好工作已经不见了。

There are great jobs and great careers,and then there are the high-workload,high-stress, bloodsucking, soul-destroying kinds of jobs,and practically nothing in-between.
虽然伟大工作和伟大事业仍然存在,然后那些,工作量大、工作压力大、 能榨干人血、 会折磨灵魂的工作也仍存在,而介于两者之间的好工作几乎没有了。

So people looking for good jobs are going to fail.
所以想找好工作的人会失败。

I want to talk about those looking for great jobs, great careers,
我要谈的是那些追求杰出工作 追求伟大事业的人,

and why you're going to fail.
以及你们为何会失败。

First reason is that no matter how many times people tell you,
第一个原因是... 不论别人对你说多少次,

'If you want a great career, you have to pursue your passion,
“如果你想拥有伟大的事业, 你就必须拥有激情,

you have to pursue your dreams, you have to pursue
你就必须追随梦想,你必须追寻

the greatest fascination in your life,'
一生中你最痴迷的事情。”

you hear it again and again, and then you decide not to do it.
你听到很多很多次, 却还是无动于衷。

It doesn't matter how many times you download
不管你下载多少次

Steven J.'s Stanford commencement address,
史蒂芬乔布斯在斯坦福大学的毕业致辞,

you still look at it and decide not to do it.
你还是只看着它, 然后决定不去做,

I'm not quite sure why you decide not to do it.
我不太确定你怎么不去做。

You're too lazy to do it. It's too hard.
也许你太懒。 也许事太难。

You're afraid if you look for your passion and don't find it,
你害怕寻找激情却落空,

you'll feel like you're an idiot, so then you make excuses
 看起来就像傻瓜,所以你开始找借口

about why you're not going to look for your passion.
去掩饰为什么不追寻激情。

They are excuses, ladies and gentlemen.
但那全是借口,先生女士,

We're going to go through a whole long list --
我们来看下整列借口,

your creativity in thinking of excuses not to do what you really need to do
你很有创意的找借口, 不做那些你本来该做的事,

if you want to have a great career.
如果你想成功的话。

So, for example, one of your great excuses is:
举个例子 你最好的借口之一是,

(Sigh)
(深呼吸)

'Well, great careers are really and truly, for most people,
“哎...... 伟大事业确实、真的、对大多数人来说,

just a matter of luck.
只靠运气,

So I'm going to stand around, I'm going to try to be lucky,
所以我会等着天上掉馅饼, 我会去碰运气,

and if I'm lucky, I'll have a great career.
要是我运气好, 就会有个伟大事业了

If not, I'll have a good career.'
如果不行, 起码也能有个好工作。

But a good career is an impossibility, so that's not going to work.
但是好工作并不存在啊, 所以这行不通。”

Then, your other excuse is,
然后你的另一个借口是,

'Yes, there are special people who pursue their passions,
“是的,是有些特别的人, 追寻自己的激情,

but they are geniuses.
但他们全是天才,

They are Steven J.
他们都像乔布斯,

I'm not a genius.
可我不是天才。“

When I was five, I thought I was a genius,
我五岁时, 我曾觉得自己是个天才。

but my professors have beaten that idea out of my head long since.'
但我的导师们很久以前就打消了 我的这个念头。

'And now I know I am completely competent.'
“并且我现在意识到自己很努力”

Now, you see, if this was 1950,
好吧,你看, 如是这是1950年,

being completely competent -- that would have given you a great career.
拼命干活大概能让你拥有伟大事业。

But guess what? This is almost 2012, and saying to the world,
可是,你猜怎么? 现在都快2012了 向世界展示

'I am totally, completely competent,'
“我干活超级卖力气”

is damning yourself with the faintest of praise.
就像在用最微弱的表扬贬低自己

And then, of course, another excuse:
之后当然是另一个借口: “好吧,我会去做,我会去做这事,

'Well, I would do this, I would do this, but, but --
但是、但是,

well, after all, I'm not weird.
嗯......毕竟, 我不是个怪人。

Everybody knows that people who pursue their passions
大家都知道 那些坚持梦想的人

are somewhat obsessive.
都多少有点强迫症,

A little strange.
还会有点奇怪。

Hmm? Hmm? OK?
嗯?嗯? 好吧。

You know, a fine line between madness and genius.
你明白天才和疯子只一线之隔。

'I'm not weird. I've read Steven J.'s biography.
我不是怪人。 我读过乔布斯的传记。

Oh my goodness -- I'm not that person. I am nice.
我的天啊。 我可不是那种人。 我很友善。

I am normal.
我很普通。

I'm a nice, normal person, and nice, normal people --
我是个友善的、普通的人, 而且友善的普通的人...

don't have passion.'
都缺乏激情

'Ah, but I still want a great career.
啊,但我还是想要成功

I'm not prepared to pursue my passion,
我不打算去追寻激情,

so I know what I'm going to do,
所以我知道自己要做什么,

because I have a solution.
因为我有解决方案,

I have a strategy.
我有一个策略。

It's the one Mommy and Daddy told me about.
一个妈咪和爹地告诉我的。

Mommy and Daddy told me that if I worked hard,
妈咪和爹地告诉我,要是我努力干活,

I'd have a good career.
我就会有个好事业。

So, if you work hard and have a good career,
所以, 如果你努力干活,就会有好事业,

if you work really, really, really hard,
如果你非常、非常、非常努力干活, 

you'll have a great career.
那就会有一番伟业。

Doesn't that, like, mathematically make sense?'
那不就像数学法则般合理吗?

Hmm. Not.
嗯。并不是。

But you've managed to talk yourself into that.
但你真让自己信了那些鬼话。

You know what? Here's a little secret:
你知道吗? 这隐藏个小秘密。

You want to work? You want to work really, really, really hard?
你想工作? 你想非常、非常、非常努力工作?

You know what? You'll succeed.
你知道吗? 你会如愿。

The world will give you the opportunity
这个世界会给你机会,

to work really, really, really, really hard.
让你非常、非常、非常、非常努力地工作。

But, are you so sure
但是,你真确定

that that's going to give you a great career,
那样就会带给你伟大事业吗

when all the evidence is to the contrary?
尤其在总总迹象都 事与愿违的时候?

So let's deal with those of you who are trying to find your passion.
让我们做个假设, 看看你们之中, 想要追随寻情的那些人。

You actually understand that you really had better do it,
你们到底明白 最好还是追随激情,

never mind the excuses.
别理会那些借口。

You're trying to find your passion --
你在试着寻找你的激情,

and you're so happy.
哦,你突然很开心。

You found something you're interested in.
你找到了感兴趣的事情。

'I have an interest! I have an interest!' You tell me.
“我对这个感兴趣, 我对这个感兴趣”,你对我说。

You say, 'I have an interest!' I say, 'That's wonderful!
你说,“我对这个感兴趣!” 我说,“那太好了!“

And what are you trying to tell me?'
然后呢? 你想表达什么?

'Well, I have an interest.'
“我对这个感兴趣。”

I say, 'Do you have passion?'
我问,“你有激情吗?”

'I have an interest,' you say.
“我对这个感兴趣”,你说。

'Your interest is compared to what?'
你的兴趣是跟什么比较的?

'Well, I'm interested in this.'
“那个,我对这个有兴趣啊。”

'And what about the rest of humanity's activities?'
那你对其余的人类活动有什么感觉呢?

'I'm not interested in them.'
“我对那些不感兴趣。”

'You've looked at them all, have you?'
你都尝试过了,是吗?

'No. Not exactly.'
“额,没有,还没。”

Passion is your greatest love.
激情,是你的挚爱。

Passion is the thing
激情 是一种

that will help you create the highest expression of your talent.
会助你充分施展才华的东西。

Passion, interest -- it's not the same thing.
激情、兴趣——不是一回事。

Are you really going to go to your sweetie and say,
难道你会对你的甜心说,

'Marry me! You're interesting.'
“嫁给我吧!你如此有趣。”(笑声)

Won't happen. Won't happen, and you will die alone.
不会成功的。不会成功的。 你只会孤独终老。

What you want,
你需要的,

what you want, what you want, is passion.
你真正需要的是激情。

It is beyond interest.
它远远超越了兴趣,

You need 20 interests, and then one of them,
你可能要有20个兴趣, 而其中一个

one of them might grab you,
其中一个可能会吸引你, 

one of them might engage you more than anything else,
其中一个可能会抓住你,超越其他兴趣,

and then you may have found your greatest love,
然后你也许会找到你的挚爱,

in comparison to all the other things that interest you,
在对比过所有感兴趣的事后,

and that's what passion is.
而那就是激情所在。

I have a friend, proposed to his sweetie.
我有个朋友,向他的女友求婚。

He was an economically rational person.
他是一个有经济头脑且理性的男人。

He said to his sweetie, 'Let us marry.
他对他的女友说,“我们结婚吧,

Let us merge our interests.'
让我们把彼此的兴趣融合起来吧。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

Yes, he did.
是的,他真这么干的。

'I love you truly,' he said. 'I love you deeply.
“我真心地爱着你,” 他说。 “我深深地爱着你,

I love you more than any other woman I've ever encountered.
我爱你胜过任何我遇到的女人。

I love you more than Mary, Jane, Susie, Penelope,
我爱你胜过 Mary, Jane, Susie, Penelope..

Ingrid, Gertrude, Gretel --
Ingrid, Gertrude, Gretel ..

I was on a German exchange program then.
那时我在一个德国交换项目中”(笑声)

I love you more than --'
“我爱你胜过......”

All right.
这下好了!

She left the room halfway through his enumeration of his love for her.
他才列举了一半他有多爱她, 她就已经愤然离去了。

After he got over his surprise at being, you know, turned down,
他从被拒绝的惊讶中回过神后,

he concluded he'd had a narrow escape
他总结到,逃过一劫,

from marrying an irrational person.
差点跟一个不理性的人结婚,

Although, he did make a note to himself that the next time he proposed,
不过他的确有所觉悟,下次求婚,一一列举出

it was perhaps not necessary
好像没必要

to enumerate all of the women he had auditioned for the part.
所有他以前面试过的女朋友。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

But the point stands.
但重点在于, 你必须去寻找可以替代的。

You must look for alternatives so that you find your destiny,
这样你才能找到属于自己的命运,

or are you afraid of the word 'destiny'?
还是你畏惧“命运”这个词?

Does the word 'destiny' scare you?
“命运”这个词让吓到你了吗?

That's what we're talking about.
这就是我们这在讨论的事情,

And if you don't find the highest expression of your talent,
如果你没有找到 最能施展你才华的事,

if you settle for 'interesting,' what the hell ever that means,
如果止步于“兴趣”, 那到底是意味着什么?

do you know what will happen at the end of your long life?
你知道在你走完漫长人生后 会发生什么吗?

Your friends and family will be gathered in the cemetery,
你的亲友会聚集在公墓前,

and there beside your gravesite will be a tombstone,
你的坟墓旁会有个墓碑,

and inscribed on that tombstone
墓碑上会刻着,

it will say, 'Here lies a distinguished engineer,
“这里长眠着一位杰出的工程师,

who invented Velcro.'
他发明了尼龙搭扣”。

But what that tombstone should have said,
但是呢,这块墓碑本来可以这么写,

in an alternative lifetime,
在另一个可能的人生里,

what it should have said if it was your highest expression of talent,
墓碑上应该刻着的是, 如果你尽全力展现了才华,

was, 'Here lies the last Nobel Laureate in Physics,
“这里长眠着上一届诺贝尔物理学奖得主,

who formulated the Grand Unified Field Theory
他提出了“大统一理论”

and demonstrated the practicality of warp drive.'
并实践了曲速引擎的实用性。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

Velcro, indeed!
事实上却只是,尼龙搭扣。

(Laughter)
(笑声)

One was a great career.
一个是伟大的事业。

One was a missed opportunity.
一个是错过的机会。

But then, there are some of you who,
但是,你们中间有些人,

in spite of all these excuses, you will find,
尽管也有这些借口,

you will find your passion.
你还是会找到你的激情,

And you'll still fail.
但你,还是,会失败。

You're going to fail, because --
你将会失败, 因为......

because you're not going to do it,
因为你不会去做的。

because you will have invented a new excuse,
因为你会编出一个新借口,

any excuse to fail to take action,
一个让你不去采取行动的借口,

and this excuse, I've heard so many times:
而这个借口我已经听过很多遍了。

'Yes, I would pursue a great career,
“是的, 我会去追求一个伟大事业

but, I value human relationships --
但是, 我珍惜... 人类的感情,

more than accomplishment.
胜过渴望功成名就。

I want to be a great friend.
我想做一个出色的朋友,

I want to be a great spouse.
我想做一个出色的配偶,

I want to be a great parent,
我想做一个出色的父母,

and I will not sacrifice them
而且我不会牺牲这些,

on the altar of great accomplishment.'
去换取一个伟大的成就。”

What do you want me to say?
你还期望我说什么呢?

Now, do you really want me to say now, tell you,
你难道想要我告诉你,

'Really, I swear I don't kick children.'
“真的,我发誓自己不打小孩。“

Look at the worldview you've given yourself.
看看你给自己定的世界观吧。

You're a hero no matter what.
不论如何你总是个英雄,

And I, by suggesting ever so delicately
而我建议你, 得小心翼翼地说,

that you might want a great career, must hate children.
也许你想有个伟大事业, 就得讨厌小孩。

I don't hate children. I don't kick them.
我不讨厌小孩,我不打他们。

Yes, there was a little kid wandering through this building
是的,刚刚有个小孩在这楼里转悠。

when I came here, and no, I didn't kick him.
就在我来的时候, 我很清楚我没揍他。

Course, I had to tell him the building was for adults only,
当然了,我不得不告诉他, 这楼是大人们的地方,

and to get out.
赶快离开。

He mumbled something about his mother,
他嘀咕着什么想要找妈妈的话,

and I told him she'd probably find him outside anyway.
于是我告诉他, 她反正会在外面找到他。

Last time I saw him, he was on the stairs crying.
我最后看到他的时候, 他正在楼梯上哭呢。

What a wimp.
真是窝囊废。

But what do you mean? That's what you expect me to say.
你们什么意思? 这不就是你们觉得我该说的。

Do you really think it's appropriate
你真觉得这样妥当吗?

that you should actually take children and use them as a shield?
你搬出...小孩子 并用他们作挡箭牌?

You know what will happen someday,
你知道未来会发生什么,

you ideal parent, you?
你,你这个模范父母,你?

The kid will come to you someday and say,
你的小孩有天会跑来对你说,

'I know what I want to be.
“我知道我想成为什么了。

I know what I'm going to do with my life.'
我知道我这一生要去做什么了。“

You are so happy.
你如此开心,

It's the conversation a parent wants to hear,
这不正是为人父母最想听到的话吗,

because your kid's good in math,
因为你的孩子数学很好,

and you know you're going to like what comes next.
而你知道, 你会喜欢接下来的对话。

Says your kid,
你的孩子说,“我已经决定了,

'I have decided I want to be a magician.
我要成为一个魔术师。

I want to perform magic tricks on the stage.'
我要在舞台上变戏法。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

And what do you say?
那你怎么说?

You say, you say,
你说......你说......

'That's risky, kid.
“额......这有点冒险啊,孩子,

Might fail, kid. Don't make a lot of money at that, kid.
额...可能会失败的,孩子, 挣不了几个钱的,孩子,

I don't know, kid, you should think about that again, kid.
你看,我不知道,孩子, 你该再考虑考虑,孩子

You're so good at math, why don't you --'
你的数学那么好, 为什么你不去—”

The kid interrupts you and says,
然后孩子会打断你的话,说

'But it is my dream. It is my dream to do this.'
“但这就是我的梦想, 我的梦想就是干这个。”

And what are you going to say?
那你会说什么呢?

You know what you're going to say?
你知道你会说什么吗?

'Look kid. I had a dream once, too, but --
“你看,孩子,我也曾有过梦想,但是,

But --'
但是。”

So how are you going to finish the sentence with your 'but'?
你要怎么补完“但是”后面的话呢?

'But. I had a dream too, once, kid, but I was afraid to pursue it.'
“但是..我也曾有过梦想,孩子,但是我没敢追寻它。”

Or are you going to tell him this:
又或者,你会这么告诉他?

'I had a dream once, kid.
“我也曾有过梦想,孩子,

But then, you were born.'
但是,那时你出生了。”

(Laughter)
(笑声)

(Applause)
(笑声,掌声)

Do you really want to use your family,
你真打算用你的家庭做借口吗,

do you really ever want to look at your spouse and your kid,
你真打算看着你的配偶和孩子,

and see your jailers?
就像看你的狱卒?

There was something you could have said to your kid,
你本来可以这么对你的孩子说,

when he or she said, 'I have a dream.'
当他或她告诉你, “我有一个梦想。”

You could have said --
你本可以说......

looked the kid in the face and said,
凝视着孩子的脸说,

'Go for it, kid!
”放手干吧,孩子,

Just like I did.'
就像我曾经那样。”

But you won't be able to say that,
但是你没法那么说,

because you didn't.
因为你没做,

So you can't.
所以你不能那么说。

And so the sins of the parents
所以父母的原罪,

are visited on the poor children.
又降临到可怜的孩子身上了。

Why will you seek refuge in human relationships
为什么, 你要拿人际关系当避难所,

as your excuse not to find and pursue your passion?
作为你的借口, 而不去追求激情?

You know why.
你知道为什么。

In your heart of hearts, you know why,
在你最内心的地方, 你知道为什么

and I'm being deadly serious.
而我十分严肃的告诉你,

You know why you would get all warm and fuzzy
你知道自己为什么会得到所有温暖柔软,

and wrap yourself up in human relationships.
并把自己裹在人际关系里。

It is because you are --
这是因为,你——

you know what you are.
你知道自己是什么样的人。

You're afraid to pursue your passion.
你害怕追寻你的梦想。

You're afraid to look ridiculous.
你害怕自己显得荒谬。

You're afraid to try.
你害怕尝试,

You're afraid you may fail.
你害怕自己会失败。

Great friend, great spouse, great parent, great career.
出色的朋友, 出色的配偶, 出色的家长, 出色的事业,

Is that not a package? Is that not who you are?
这些难道不是一体的? 这难道不是你?

How can you be one without the other?
你怎么能只要一种, 而不管其他?

But you're afraid.
但你就是害怕。

And that's why you're not going to have a great career.
而这就是为什么你不会拥有一番伟业的原因。

Unless --
除非......

'unless,' that most evocative of all English words --
“除非”, 这个英文中最让人回味的词......

'unless.'
“除非”,

But the 'unless' word is also attached
但是“除非”这个词,常常连接着

to that other, most terrifying phrase,
一些最可怕的话。

'If only I had ...'
“当初我要是...”

'If only I had ...'
“当初我要是...”

If you ever have that thought ricocheting in your brain,
如果你的脑中曾蹦出过这种想法,

it will hurt a lot.
它会伤你至深。

So, those are the many reasons
所以,这些就是各种不同的原因,

why you are going to fail
你为什么会失败

to have a great career.
无法拥有一番伟业。

Unless --
除非......

Unless.
除非......

Thank you.
谢谢

    本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章 更多