分享

第96期:Looking for an Apartment 找公寓

 懒人英语晨读 2022-08-08 发布于上海

「晨读音频」


Hello everyone! Welcome to my channel. I’m Reevs. Good morning!

大家好,欢迎来到懒人英语晨读栏目。我是Reevs,早上好呀。

And today I have a special lesson for all of you, who are looking for a new apartment or a house.

今天,我为正在寻找新公寓或房子的所有人准备了一堂特别的课程。

Or even if you’re not looking for an apartment, this lesson will be useful, because it can help you describe what your current apartment or house looks like.

或者,即使你不是在找公寓,这一课也很有用,因为它可以帮助你描述你现在的公寓或房子是什么样子。

So we’re gonna be describing an apartment and other vocabulary related to apartment hunting.

我们将要描述一间公寓,以及其他和寻找公寓有关的词汇。

Let’s listen to our dialogue first.

我们先来听对话。

「对话文本」

A: Hi! We are the Christianson’s! We are here to see the apartment.
你好,我们是克里斯蒂安松夫妇,我们来这里看看这间公寓。
B: Oh, hi! Sure, come on in! Well, as you can see, the place has just been renovated. The previous tenants left a huge mess here, so the landlord has redone everything.
哦,你们好!请进。如你所见,这个房子刚被翻新过。之前的租户把这里弄得一团糟,所以房东重新装修了一下。
C: It looks great. It’s so bright and airy! What great light! I really like these hardwood floors. What’s the square footage of this place?
看起来很不错。很明亮也很通风!这个灯真好看!我好喜欢这些硬木地板。这个公寓有多少平米呢?
B: Well, it’s about 120 square meters, or 1300 square feet, more or less. Oh, the landlord has also installed new kitchen appliances. There’s a new dishwasher, and a professional-grade gas range. Really, at this price, this place is an amazing deal!
大概120平米,或是1300平方英尺左右。对了,房东还安装了新的厨房电器,有一个新的洗碗机,一个专业级的瓦斯炉灶。按照这个价格,这个房子真的太划算了!
C: I love it! But wait, what are the payment terms?
我喜欢这里!但是等一下,但怎样付款呢?
B: First and last month rent as deposit and rent is due on the 1st of every month. Considering the amount of money invested into the apartment, it’s a very good deal!
第一个月和最后一个月的租金作为押金,租金在每个月的1号到期。想到房东在这个房子上花的钱,这个房子真的是很划算。
A: Yes, it is! Too good to be true...
是的,很不错。好到难以置信......
B: The living room and dining room are quite spacious as you can see, and down this hall, here’s the master bedroom. It has a huge walk-in closet and an en suit bathroom. We can’t go in there yet as the police... I mean the clean-up crew hasn’t finished.
你看看,卧室和餐厅非常宽敞,沿着过道走过来,这里就是主卧了。主卧有一个大的步入式衣帽间和一个独立卫生间。那里我们不能进去,因为警察...... 我的意思是清理人员还没打扫完。
C: What do you mean? What’s in here?
你在说什么?里面有什么?

「重要发音技巧」

Alright, we’re back. Let’s look at some useful tips that help you improve your English pronunciation.

好的,我们回来看一些能帮助你提升英语发音的技巧。

1. 失爆:What great, great light

对话中:

What great light!

失爆分析:

  • 两个单词相邻时,前一个单词词尾是爆破音,后一个单词开头也是爆破音,则前面的爆破音不发音,直接省去。对话中的what /wʌt/ + great /ɡreɪt/ (/t/是爆破音,/g/是爆破音)失爆后读为:/wʌɡreɪt/(省去what结尾的/t/)。

  • 两个单词相邻时,前一个单词词尾是爆破音,后一个单词开头是辅音,则前面的爆破音不发出声音,稍作停顿。对话中的great /ɡreɪt/ + light /laɪt/ (/g/是爆破音,/l/是辅音)失爆后读为:/ɡreɪt laɪt/

复述:

What great light!

2. 连读+Flap T:What are

对话中:

What are the payment terms?

辅元连读:

两个单词相邻,前一个单词词尾是辅音,后一个单词开头是元音,这时可以做辅元连读。对话中的what/wʌt/ + are/ɑːr/ (/t/是辅音,/ɑ:/是元音),连读后为/wʌtɑ:r/

Flap T:

连读基础之上,/t/在两个元音之间且非重读, /t/可以读为一个很轻的/d/。对话中的What are,what的/t/在元音/ʌ/和/ɑ:/之间,且非重读,所以what are可以读为/wʌdɑːr /

复述:

What are the payment terms?

「核心单词掌握」

Now we’re just gonna look at a bunch of vocabulary items related to apartments and house hunting.

现在我们来看看一些和公寓和找房子有关的词汇。

The first one is “landlord”.

第一个是“landlord”。

1. landlord /ˈlændlɔːrd/ n. 房东

A landlord is the person, who owns the house or apartment.

房东是拥有房子的人。

So, the owner of the house.

所以是房子的主人。

And a landlord rents out the apartment to the tenants.

房东把公寓出租给房客。

2. tenant /ˈtenənt/ n. 租户

So, the tenants are the people that are renting the apartment or house.

租客是指租赁公寓或房子的人。

Moving to our next word “renovate”.

来看下个单词“renovate”。

3. renovate /ˈrenəveɪt/ v. 修复,翻新,重新粉刷

To renovate means to repair and paint an old building, a piece of furniture, etc. so that it is in good condition again.

“翻修”是指修复和粉刷一幢旧建筑、一件家具等,使其重新处于良好状态。

Let me give you an example.

我来举个例子。

I had to renovate my kitchen, because I accidentally burned everything while cooking.

我不得不重新装修我的厨房,因为我做饭时不小心把东西都烧了。

The agent in this dialogue also used this word. He said that apartment was newly renovated and it was bright and airy.

刚刚我们对话中的中介也用到了这个单词。他说,这间公寓是新装修的,明亮又通风。

And this is our fourth word “airy”.

那么“airy”就是我们的第四个要讲的单词。

4. airy /ˈeri/ adj. 通风的

Well, I guess we understand the word air.

我想我们都理解空气这个词。

If an apartment or a building is airy, it has a lot of fresh air inside, usually because it is large.

如果一个公寓或一个建筑是通风的,那么就表示它里面有很多新鲜空气,通常也是因为它很大。 

And it’s wide and open.

这里很宽而且是敞开的。

For example,

The room is light and airy.

这个房间光线好也通风。

Now, for our next word - an important question she asked for the “square footage”.

现在看我们的下一个词,一个重要的问题,她问的“square footage”。

5. square footage /skwer/ /ˈfʊtɪdʒ/ n. 平方英尺

The square footage is just basically the area, how big.

平方英尺只是基本上面积,有多大。

For example,

Robert is worried that the square footage of this land is not big enough.

罗伯特担心这块地的面积不够大。

Alright, so, after we’ve measured the square footage of the apartment, we saw that they had new appliances.

好的,那么,在我们测量了公寓的面积之后,我们发现他们有了新的电器。

6. appliance /əˈplaɪəns/ n.(家里)电器

So, kitchen appliances, what are those?

Machines that do stuff in a kitchen. Alright, so, a blender, a stove, a microwave.

厨房电器是什么呢?是指在厨房里工作的机器。例如搅拌机、炉子、微波炉。

Or I can say “electric appliances”. So, like your TV, iron, and vacuum cleaner.

或者我可以说“电器”,比如你的电视机、熨斗、吸尘器。

So, appliance can be any type of machine that’s used in a house.

电器可以是在房子里任何类型的机器。

And, well, one of these appliances was a professional-grade gas range.

其中一个电器是专业级煤气灶。

7. professional-grade /prəˌfeʃənl ɡreɪd/ adj. 专业级别的

This is something that’s really high quality.

这是真正高质量的东西。

You can also have a professional-grade anything like a professional-grade carpet.

你也可以用专业级的任何东西,比如专业级地毯。

So, a gas range, this is basically a stove.

所以,a gas range(煤气灶),这基本上就是个炉子。 

That uses gas instead of electricity. So, I can have an electric range.

那是用煤气代替电力的。所以,我可以有一个电炉。

So, after we’ve seen all the appliances, they described the house as spacious.

所以,在我们看过所有的电器之后,他们形容房子很宽敞。

8. spacious /ˈspeɪʃəs/ adj. 宽敞的

We know the word space here. So this means it has lots of space.

我们知道空间这个词。意味着它很大的空间。

Okay. And once we were in the master bedroom, we saw that they had a “walk-in closet”.

好的,当我们到了主卧室,我们看到他们有一个“walk-in closet”。

9. walk-in closet n. /ˈwɔːk ɪn/ /ˈklɑːzɪt/ 进入式衣帽间

So you can walk into this closet and it’s a huge closet.

你可以走进去,这是个大衣柜。

And apart from this beautiful closet we had an “en-suite bathroom”.

除了这个漂亮的衣柜,我们还有一个“en-suite bathroom”。

10. en-suite bathroom /ˌɑ̃ː ˈswiːt/ /ˈbæθruːm/ n. 独立浴室

So, an en-suite bathroom is a bathroom inside the master bedroom.

所以,独立浴室是主卧室里的浴室。


「实用口语表达」

For now, let's look at some interesting phrases.

现在我们一起来看看有趣的短语。

The first one we have is “come on in”.

第一个要来看的就是“come on in”。

1. come on in 快进来

This phrase is simply a friendly request to enter one's house or some other place.

这个短语就是一个友好的请求进入某人的房子或其他地方(的表达)。

这个短语比come in更热情,更口语化一些。

For example,

Come on in, we've got a place at the table ready for you!

快进来,我们给你留好了位置。

And the next phrase is “due on”

下一个短语是“due on”。

2. due on 到期

We heard the rent is due on the 1st of every month.

我们听到房租是每月1号要交。

租房都是要付款的,都有付款的期限,如果我们想要表示交房租,付款期限,就可以用due on。

Let me give you another example.

再来举个例子。

Payment is due on 1 May.

付款期限为5月1号。

Now, it’s time for us to review what we've learned today.

现在我们来回顾一下今天所学习的内容,一起思考起来。


「今日所学回顾」


1. 发音重点:

失爆:What great, great light
连读+Flap T :What are

2. 单词重点:

landlord /ˈlændlɔːrd/ n. 房东
tenant /ˈtenənt/ n. 租户
renovate /ˈrenəveɪt/ v. 装修,整修
airy /ˈeri/ adj. 通风的
square footage /skwer/ /ˈfʊtɪdʒ/ n. 平方英尺
appliance /əˈplaɪəns/ n. (家里)电器
professional-grade /prəˌfeʃənl ɡreɪd/ adj. 专业级别的
spacious /ˈspeɪʃəs/ adj. 宽敞的
walk-in closet n. /ˈwɔːk ɪn/ /ˈklɑːzɪt/ 进入式衣帽间
en-suite bathroom /ˌɑ̃ː ˈswiːt/ /ˈbæθruːm/ n. 独立浴室

3. 表达重点:

come on in 快进来
due on 到期

Alright, that's all for today. Thanks for coming. Hope you enjoy today's lesson. Have a nice day there!

    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章 更多