分享

【有道晨读】《老人与海》第三十五期

 张进仁 2017-11-07


照这样下去是会一事无成的,他想。

His mouth was too dry to speak but he could not reach for the water now.

他嘴里干得说不出话来,但是此刻他不能伸手去拿水来喝。

I must get him alongside this time, he thought.

我这一回必须把它拉到船边来,他想。

I am not good for many more turns.

它再多兜几圈,我就不行了。

Yes you are, he told himself.

不,你是行的,他对自己说。

You're good forever.

你永远行的。

On the next turn, he nearly had him.

在兜下一圈时,他差一点把它拉了过来。

But again the fish righted himself and swam slowly away.

可是这鱼又竖直了身子,慢慢地游走了。

You are killing me, fish, the old man thought.

你要把我害死啦,鱼啊,老人想。

But you have a right to.

不过你有权利这样做。

Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother.

我从没见过比你更庞大、更美丽、更沉着或更崇高的东西,老弟。

Come on and kill me.

来,把我害死吧。

I do not care who kills who.   

我不在乎谁害死谁。

Now you are getting confused in the head, he thought.

你现在头脑糊涂起来啦,他想。

You must keep your head clear.

你必须保持头脑清醒。

Keep your head clear and know how to suffer like a man.

保持头脑清醒,要象个男子汉,懂得怎样忍受痛苦。

Or a fish, he thought.

或者象一条鱼那样,他想。

'Clear up, head,' he said in a voice he could hardly hear. 'Clear up.'

“清醒过来吧,头,'他用自己也简直听不见的声音说。'清醒过来吧。”

Twice more it was the same on the turns.

鱼又兜了两圈,还是老样子。

I do not know, the old man thought.

我弄不懂,老人想。

He had been on the point of feeling himself go each time.

每一回他都觉得自己快要垮了。

I do not know. But I will try it once more.

我弄不懂。但我还要试一下。

He tried it once more and he felt himself going when he turned the fish.

他又试了一下,等他把鱼拉得转过来时,他感到自己要垮了。

The fish righted himself and swam off again slowly with the great tail weaving in the air.

那鱼竖直了身子,又慢慢地游开去,大尾巴在海面上摇摆着。

I'll try it again, the old man promised, although his hands were mushy now and he could only see well in flashes.

我还要试一下,老人对自己许愿,尽管他的双手这时已经软弱无力,眼睛也不好使,只看得见间歇的一起。

He tried it again and it was the same.

他又试了一下,又是同样情形。

So he thought, and he felt himself going before he started; I will try it once again.

原来如此,他想,还没动手就感到要垮下来了,我还要再试一下。

He took all his pain and what was left of his strength and his long gone pride and he put it against the fish's agony and the fish came over onto his side and swam gently on his side, his bill almost touching the planking of the skiff and started to pass the boat, long, deep, wide, silver and barred with purple and interminable in the water.

他忍住了一切痛楚,拿出剩余的力气和丧失已久的自傲,用来对付这鱼的痛苦挣扎,于是它游到了他的身边,在他身边斯文地游着,它的嘴几乎碰着了小船的船壳板,它开始在船边游过去,身子又长,又高,又宽,银色底上有着紫色条纹,在水里看来长得无穷无尽。

The old man dropped the line and put his foot on it and lifted the harpoon as high as he could and drove it down with all his strength, and more strength he had just summoned, into the fish's side just behind the great chest fin that rose high in the air to the altitude of the man's chest.

老人放下钓索,一脚踩住了,把鱼叉举得尽可能地高,使出全身的力气,加上他刚才鼓起的力气,把它朝下直扎进鱼身的一边,就在大胸鳍后面一点儿的地方,这胸鳍高高地竖立着,高齐老人的胸膛。

He felt the iron go in and he leaned on it and drove it further and then pushed all his weight after it.

他感到那铁叉扎了进去,就把身子倚在上面,把它扎得更深一点,再用全身的重量把它压下去。

Then the fish came alive, with his death in him, and rose high out of the water showing all his great length and width and all his power and his beauty.

于是那鱼闹腾起来,尽管死到临头了,它仍从水中高高跳起,把它那惊人的长度和宽度,它的力量和美,全都暴露无遗。

He seemed to hang in the air above the old man in the skiff.

它仿佛悬在空中,就在小船中老人的头顶上空。

Then he fell into the water with a crash that sent spray over the old man and over all of the skiff.

然后,它砰的一声掉在水里,浪花溅了老人一身,溅了一船。

朗读:迪新

翻译:海观

    本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章