分享

【有道晨读】《老人与海》第四十期

 张进仁 2017-11-22

 

【有道晨读】《老人与海》第四十期
00:00 / 00:00

The shark swung over and the old man saw his eye was not alive and then he swung over once again, wrapping himself in two loops of the rope.

鲨鱼翻了个身,老人看出它眼睛里已经没有生气了,跟着它又翻了个身,自行缠上了两道绳子。

The old man knew that he was dead but the shark would not accept it.

老人知道这鲨鱼快死了,但它还是不肯认输。

Then, on his back, with his tail lashing and his jaws clicking, the shark plowed over the water as a speedboat does.

它这时肚皮朝上,尾巴扑打着,两颚嘎吱作响,像一条快艇般划奇水面。

The water was white where his tail beat it and three-quarters of his body was clear above the water when the rope came taut, shivered, and then snapped.

它的尾巴把水拍打得泛出白色,四分之三的身体露出在水面上,这时绳子给绷紧了,抖了一下,啪地断了。

The shark lay quietly for a little while on the surface and the old man watched him.

鲨鱼在水面上静静地躺了片刻,老人紧盯着它。

Then he went down very slowly.

然后它慢慢地沉下去了。

'He took about forty pounds,' the old man said aloud.

“它吃掉了约莫四十磅肉,'老人说出声来。

He took my harpoon too and all the rope, he thought, and now my fish bleeds again and there will be others.

它把我的鱼叉也带走了,还有那么许多绳子,他想,而且现在我这条鱼又在淌血,其他鲨鱼也会来的。

He did not like to look at the fish anymore since he had been mutilated.

他不忍心再朝这死鱼看上一眼,因为它已经被咬得残缺不全了。

When the fish had been hit it was as though he himself were hit.

鱼挨到袭击的时候,他感到就像自己挨到袭击一样。

But I killed the shark that hit my fish, he thought.

可是我杀死了这条袭击我的鱼的鲨鱼,他想。

And he was the biggest dentuso that I have ever seen.

而它是我见到过的最大的登多索鲨。

And God knows that I have seen big ones.

天知道,我见过一些大的。

It was too good to last, he thought.

光景太好了,不可能持久的,他想。

I wish it had been a dream now and that I had never hooked the fish and was alone in bed on the newspapers.

但愿这是一场梦,我根本没有钓到这条鱼,正独自躺在床上铺的旧报纸上。

'But man is not made for defeat,' he said.

“不过人不是为失败而生的,'他说。

'A man can be destroyed but not defeated.'

“一个人可以被毁灭,但不能给打败。'

I am sorry that I killed the fish though, he thought.

不过我很痛心,把这鱼给杀了,他想。

Now the bad time is coming and I do not even have the harpoon.

现在倒霉的时刻要来了,可我连鱼叉也没有。

The dentuso is cruel and able and strong and intelligent.

这条登多索鲨是残忍、能干、强壮而聪明的。

But I was more intelligent than he was.

但是我比它更聪明。

Perhaps not, he thought.

也许并不,他想。

Perhaps I was only better armed.

也许我仅仅是武器比它强。

'Don't think, old man,' he said aloud.

“别想啦,老家伙,'他说出声来。

'Sail on this course and take it when it comes.'

'顺着这航线行驶,事到临头再对付吧。”

But I must think, he thought.

但是我一定要想,他想。

Because it is all I have left.

因为我只剩下这个了。

That and baseball.

这个,还有棒球。

I wonder how the great DiMaggio would have liked the way I hit him in the brain?

不知道那了不起的迪马吉奥可会喜欢我那样击中它的脑子?

It was no great thing, he thought.

这不是什么了不起的事儿,他想。

Any man could do it.

任何人都做得到。

But do you think my hands were as great a handicap as the bone spurs?

但是,你可以为,我这双受伤的手跟骨刺一样是个很大的不利条件?

I cannot know.

我没法知道。

I never had anything wrong with my heel except the time the sting ray stung it when I stepped on him when swimming and paralyzed the lower leg and made the unbearable pain.

我的脚后跟从没出过毛病,除了有一次在游水时踩着了一条海鳐鱼,被它扎了一下,小腿麻痹了,痛得真受不了。

'Think about something cheerful, old man,' he said.

“想点开心的事儿吧,老家伙,'他说。

'Every minute now you are closer to home. You sail lighter for the loss of forty pounds.'

'每过一分钟,你就离家近一步。丢了四十磅鱼肉,你航行起来更轻快了。'

He knew quite well the pattern of what could happen when he reached the inner part of the current.

他很清楚,等他驶进了海流的中部,会发生什么事。

But there was nothing to be done now.

可是眼下一点办法也没有。

'Yes there is,' he said aloud.

“不,有办法,'他说出声来。

'I can lash my knife to the butt of one of the oars.'

'我可以把刀子绑在一支桨的把子上。”

So he did that with the tiller under his arm and the sheet of the sail under his foot.

于是他胳肢窝里挟着舵柄,一只脚踩住了帆脚索,就这样办了。

'Now,' he said. 'I am still an old man. But I am not unarmed.'

“行了,'他说。'我照旧是个老头儿。不过我不是没有武器的了。”

背景音乐:写给海洋

朗读:迪新

翻译:海观 

    本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章