分享

如何用英语谈论工作 Talking about work in English

 山峰云绕 2022-10-21 发布于贵州

    What's your job?

    你的工作是什么?

    What do you do for work?

    你是做什么的?

    Is it a temporary job or are you working towards your career?

    是临时工还是你的职业选择?

    As you might have guessed from those questions and from the title of this video, today we're going to be learning about how to speak about work in British English.

    你可能已经从这些问题和这段视频的标题中猜到了,今天我们将学习如何用英式英语谈论工作。

    So, what's the difference between those two questions I asked at the beginning? — What's your job and what do you do for work?

    那么,我一开始问的这两个问题有什么区别呢?——你的工作是什么?你是做什么的?

    How we use these two key words "job" and "work" can be quite confusing.

    我们使用 job 和 work 这两个关键词的方式可能十分让人困惑。

    You could say, "I enjoy my job".

    你可以说 I enjoy my job(我喜欢我的工作)。

    Here, we're using the word "job" as a noun referring to the work that you do.

    这里,我们用 job 这个词作为名词来指代你所做的工作。

    You could also say "I enjoy my work", using the word "work" as a noun.

    你也可以说 I enjoy my work,使用单词 work 作为一个名词。

    But "work" can also be used as a verb such as "I work as a teacher" or "I used to work in a shoe shop." If you're looking for a new position, a new job, you might say, "I'm looking for a job." Here, you are discussing a specific role.

    但 work 也可以用作动词,例如:I work as a teacher(我的工作是老师)或 I used to work in a shoe shop(我曾经在鞋店工作)。如果你在找一份新工作,你可以说 I'm looking for a job。这个例子中,你讨论的是一个特定的角色。

    You could say, "I'm looking for a job in environmental sciences" or "I'm looking for a job that interests me." The word "work" is much more vague.

    你可以说“我想找一份环境科学方面的工作”或“我想找一份令我感兴趣的工作”。Work 这个词要模糊得多。

    You might say, "I have so much work to do" or "Work felt very long today." When talking about your place of work, travel or timings, we use the word "work".

    你可以说“我有很多工作要做”或“今天的工作时间很长”。当谈到你的工作地点、上班或时间安排时,我们用 work 这个词。

    For example, "I finished work early today" or "I travelled to work by bus this morning." So, a job is a paid position of regular employment and work is the activity involving mental and physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result, something that you will do at your job.

    例如:“我今天很早就完成了工作”或“我今天早上坐公交车去上班”。所以,job 是指定期雇佣的有报酬的职位,work 是指为了达到一个目的或结果而进行的脑力和体力活动,是你在这个职位中要做的事情。

    So, job is the position and work is the activity.

    所以,job 是职位,work 是活动。

    It's the "doing" of the job.

    是这个职位中要做的活动。

    Does that make sense?

    这样说得通吗?

    Now, let's move on to some work-related vocabulary.

    我们继续来学习一些与工作有关的词汇。

    That will help you to confidently talk about your job.

    这有助于你自信地谈论你的工作。

    The first word is "career".

    第一个词是 career(职业生涯)。

    Now, your career refers to an area that you've worked in or intend to work in for a long time and you'll hopefully work your way up that career ladder.

    你的职业生涯指的是你长期从事或打算从事的领域,你有希望沿着这个职业阶梯向上发展。

    For example, a nursing course at university might be the first step into your medical career.

    例如:大学的护理课程可能是你医学生涯的第一步。

    Or you might work for a small newspaper and write an article that lots of people read and that would be very helpful for your journalism career.

    或者你可以为一家小报纸工作,写一篇很多人读过的文章,这对你的新闻事业非常有帮助。

    Next word is "aspiration".

    下一个词是 aspiration(志向)。

    Your aspiration is something that you hope to achieve.

    你的志向是你希望实现的东西。

    So, your aspiration could be to become a dentist or to own a restaurant.

    例如,你立志成为一名牙医或拥有一家餐馆。

    "Intern". An intern is a student or a trainee who works for little or sometimes no pay and this is in order to gain work experience or to satisfy certain requirements for a qualification.

    Intern(实习)。实习生是指工作报酬很少或有时没有报酬的学生或实习生,这是为了获得工作经验或满足某些资格要求。

    Next up, we have "full-time".

    下一个词:full-time(全职)。

    A full-time job refers to a job where you work for 35 hours per week or more.

    全职工作是指你每周工作 35 小时或以上的工作。

    Usually, in the UK, a full-time job means that you work all day on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

    通常,在英国,全职工作意味着你在周一、周二、周三、周四和周五工作一整天。

    And we have time off on Saturday and Sunday.

    星期六和星期天我们休息。

    Or you might work part-time.

    或者你做的是兼职。

    You might have a part-time job while studying or alongside another commitment like being a mum.

    你可能在学习的同时有一份兼职工作,或者在做妈妈的同时也有一份兼职工作。

    And these hours can be anything less than 35 hours per week.

    每周工作时间可以少于 35 小时。

    So, a part-time job could be four days a week, it could be three days a week, it could be three hours a week, anything less than 35 hours is part-time.

    一份兼职工作可以是一周四天,一周三天,一周三小时,任何少于 35 小时的工作都是兼职。

    "Overtime" is time worked in addition to your normal working hours.

    Overtime(加班)是你正常工作时间之外的工作时间。

    So, if your work is particularly busy at the moment, you might need to work some overtime.

    所以,如果你现在工作特别忙,你可能需要加班。

    "Shift". Your shift is your work period, particularly for people who do not have regular working hours.

    Shift(轮班)。轮班是你的工作时间,特别是对于那些没有固定工作时间的人。

    So, your shift could be 7:00 in the morning until 12:00 or it could be 3:00 p. m. to 6:00 a. m.

    你的班次可以是早上 7 点到 12 点,也可以是下午 3 点到早上 6 点。

    That's a difficult shift, isn't it?

    这个班次很辛苦,不是吗?

    "Salary", a fixed annual rate of pay which is usually evenly split up into twelve monthly payments each year.

    Salary(工资),一种固定的年薪,通常平均分成每年 12 个月的工资。

    So, do you have a good salary or are you disappointed with your salary?

    那么,你的工资是高还是低?

    Okay. Next, "promotion".

    下一个,promotion(升职)。

    To receive or be given a promotion is to be rewarded for your good work with a new role.

    获得或被给予升职是由于你的出色工作而得到新的职位。

    This typically involves more money and more responsibility.

    这通常涉及到更高的工资和更多的责任。

    Have you had a promotion recently?

    你最近升职了吗?

    Tell me all about it in the comment section below.

    在下面的评论中告诉我。

    "Resign". If you've decided that you don't enjoy your job anymore and you want to finish at your place of work, then you might resign by handing in your letter of resignation.

    Resign。如果你觉得不再喜欢现在的工作了,想结束现在的职位的工作,那你就递交辞职信辞职吧。

    Here it is.

    给!

    I resign.

    我辞职。

    You can also say handing in your notice.

    你也可以说递交 notice。

    "Notice" is a slightly more casual way of saying letter of resignation.

    Notice 是辞职信的更随意的表达方式。

    So, "Here. Here's my resignation." Or, "Here. here's my notice. I'm handing in my notice. I hate working here." I don't, really.

    例如:“这是我的辞职信。”或者:“这是我的辞职信。我现在递交辞职信,我讨厌在这里工作。”其实我不讨厌。

    "Dismissed" or "fired".

    Dismissed 或 fired。

    If you did something wrong at your job and the company felt that you should no longer work there, you would be dismissed or fired.

    如果你在工作中做错了什么,而公司认为你不应该再在那里工作,你就会被解雇或炒鱿鱼。

    "Dismissed" is the formal wording and "fired" is the more casual word that we've borrowed in recent years from American English.

    Dismissed 是一个正式用词,而 fired 是我们最近几年从美国借过来的非正式用词。

    Hello?

    喂?

    Hello.

    喂。

    Hi, Lucy. How are you?

    嗨,露西。你好吗?

    I'm fine. Thanks. How are you?

    我很好,谢谢。你好吗?

    I am over the moon.

    我开心极了。

    What's happened?

    怎么了?

    Well, I've just been offered a new job actually.

    嗯,我找到新工作了。

    Well, were you fired from the shop?

    额,你被商店炒了吗?

    No, I resigned.

    没,我辞职了。

    Why? Didn't you like it?

    为什么?你不喜欢吗?

    Their shifts were horrible and I have to work so much overtime.

    他们的轮班太恐怖了,而且我经常加班。

    So, what's the new job?

    那新工作是什么?

    I'm going to be working full-time at a university.

    我要在一所大学做全职工作了。

    Oh, that's great! That means you'll finally start your education career.

    噢,太棒了!这意味着你终于开始你的教育生涯了。

    Exactly. The salary is much higher and there were lots of opportunity for a promotion.

    没错。工资也高得多,而且很多提升机会。

    Oh, good luck.

    噢,祝你好运。

    So, that's the end of today's lessons, but please in the comments below, tell me about your job.

    今天的课程到此结束,请在下面的评论中告诉我你的工作。

    Is it a full-time job or a part-time job?

    是全职还是兼职?

    What are your aspirations?

    你的志向是什么?

    Are you working towards a promotion or did you recently receive a promotion?

    你是在为升职而努力还是最近得到了升职?

    Let me know and we'll have a good old chinwag down in the comments.

    让我知道,我们会在评论中好好聊一聊。

    Until next time.

    下次再见。

    If you have a few minutes, then why not join us in the next lesson?

    如果你还有几分钟,那为什么不去看看下一节课呢?

    Otherwise, take care and I'll see you soon hopefully. Bye.

    不然的话,保重噢,下次再见啦,拜。

      本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
      转藏 分享 献花(0

      0条评论

      发表

      请遵守用户 评论公约

      类似文章 更多