分享

英语脱口秀 三 (英中双语)

 MouseHappy 2011-10-19
莫瓦铁雪夫人像

流利英语脱口出

  How to Say It
  
  1. dogsbody 杂役,做别人都不愿意做的事情的人
  A: How’s your new job?
  你的新
工作怎么样?
  B: You know what, the job turned out to be a little more than a role for an office dogsbody. I don’t understand why they need someone with a master’s degree and ten years’ work experience to do that.
   你知道吗,这个工作实际就是做杂役,我真搞不懂他们为什么要雇一个有硕士学位、10年工作经验的人来做这些。
  A: So your job description has nothing to do with what you actually do day to day?
  你是说当初招聘你时,所写的那些工作职责,和你实际每天做的都不同咯?
  B: Yes, instead of “managing complex cases”, I found myself photocopying and tidying up files, it is such a waster of taxpayer’s money because someone on half my salary could do the same job.
   是啊,当初上面说什么“处理复杂的案例”,可是实际我每天就是复印和整理档案。真是浪费纳税人的钱,因为拿我一半薪水的人都可以做同样的工作。
  2. foldaway 折叠式的
  A: How can I help you?
  需要什么吗?
  B: I am looking for something for a total body workout.
  我想买一个能帮助全身运动的机器。
  A: Why don’t you try this foldaway rowing machine? Its full sculling action challenges shoulders, abs and legs for fast, muscle-toning results. It is exclusively designed for people with a busy lifestyle, limited space and a desire to stay fit.
  不妨试试这个折叠式划船机。它的全面摇桨动作可以帮助锻炼肩膀、腹部和腿部的肌肉,能快速达到紧实肌肉的作用。它专门为了忙碌的而又想保持
健康的人士设计的,又不需要占用多大空间。
  B: Sounds good. I will think about it.
  听起来不错。我会考虑。
  
  3. tequila 龙舌兰酒 (at a pub)
  A: Can I take your order, miss?
  小姐要点什么?
  B: Red wine, please.
  请给我一杯红酒。
  A: And you, sir?
  先生呢?
  B: A tequila please.
  请来一杯龙舌兰酒。
  4. High-flying 成功的,抱负高的
  A: I am glad that America Ferrera won a Golden Globe for playing the little role in Ugly Betty.
  我很高兴亚美莉卡·弗伦拉演的《丑女也有出头天》为她赢得了金球奖。
  B: Yes, it was very well deserved as she plays the part so convincingly.
  是啊,我觉得她应该得这个奖,她演的角色非常令人信服。
  A: Ms Ferrera’s acting meant Betty grabbed my sympathy from the very beginning. I love the glimpses into Betty’s chaotic home life and stressful job. She’s lovely!
   弗伦拉的演技使我从剧的第一集开始就非常同情贝蒂。我很爱看贝蒂那混乱的家庭
生活和高度紧张的工作,她很可爱!
  B: Yes. Life in the high-flying fashion world is far from glamorous for Ugly Betty.
  是哦,那样充满成功人士的时尚界工作对丑女贝蒂来说的确不是那么迷人。
  5. mental 发疯了
  A: Henry just told me that he would drop out of university.
  亨利刚告诉我他不上大学了。
  B: Really, why?
  是吗?为什么?
  A: He said he just didn’t want the degree.
  他说他就是不想要这个学位。
  B: He must be mental.
  他一定是疯了。
  6. charismatic 具有超凡魅力的
  A: You are lucky to have such a good professor.
  你真幸运有个这么好的教授。
  B: You mean Professor Young? .
  你是说杨教授?
  A: Yes, such a man with charismatic personality.
  是啊,那么有性格魅力。
  B: And with movie-star looks!
  还有
电影明星般的长相!
  7. midge 叮人的类似蚊子的小虫
  A: Summer in the UK is really nice.
  英国的夏天真好啊。
  B: Yes, so cool and beautiful, with good weather most of the time.
  是啊,凉爽、美丽,大多时候都很好。
  A: Is there anything that is not good?
  有什么不好的东西吗?
  B: Well, I live on an isle in Scotland, and we have midges in summer sometimes.
   嗯,我住在苏格兰的一个岛上,夏天有的时候会有那种咬人的小虫。
  8. windfall横财,意外之财
  A: Let’s go to the Italian restaurant tonight, my treat.
   今晚我请你去意大利餐馆吃饭。
  B: That’s so nice of you, what’s the occasion?
   你真好,有什么喜事吗?
  A: I just got a windfall.
   我刚发了笔意外之财。
  B: Great, congratulations!
   太好了,恭喜你啊! 

       作者:何迅文/著  海外英语 07年5期 

    本站是提供个人知识管理的网络存储空间,所有内容均由用户发布,不代表本站观点。请注意甄别内容中的联系方式、诱导购买等信息,谨防诈骗。如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击一键举报。
    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章 更多