When thou shalt be disposed to set me light
当你有一天决定视我如敝屣
And place my merit in the eye of scorn,
用嘲笑的目光挑剔我的优点,
Upon thy side against myself I’ll fight
我会站在你一边攻击我自己,
And prove thee virtuous, though thou art forsworn.
证明你有德,虽你自食其言。
With mine own weakness being best acquainted,
我对自己的短处了解得最清,
Upon thy part I can set down a story
我会替你记下我的毛病所在,
Of faults concealed wherein I am attainted,
记下我鲜为人知的劣迹丑闻,
That thou, in losing me, shall win much glory;
以便你能因弃我而赢得喝彩;
And I by this will be a gainer too;
当然我也会因此而成为赢家,
For bending all my loving thoughts on thee,
因为我对你倾注了满腔爱慕,
The injuries that to myself I do,
所以我对我自己的大张挞伐
Doing thee vantage, double-vantage me.
于你有益对我就有双倍的好处。
Such is my love, to thee I so belong,
此乃我之爱,我完全属于[你],
That, for thy right, myself will bear all wrong.
为了你我甘愿受任何委[屈]。—曹明伦译