分享

竭尽全力,用英语怎么表达

 外语行天下 2021-04-23
表示身体部位的很多英语单词都是宝,它们基本上都可以用来作比喻,从头发 hair 开始,到 feet 都可以见到它们的踪影,如 hang by a hair,heart and soul 和 get one's feet wet 等等。

hang (on) by a hair    命悬一线;气若游丝;危在旦夕

After the loss, their chances of getting into the championships are hanging on by a thread.
输球后,他们进入总冠军的机会岌岌可危。

Her life hung by a thread as medics rushed her to the hospital.
当医护人员把她紧急送往医院时,她的生命危在旦夕。

heart and soul    全心全意;完全地;最重要或核心的部分

I'm so sorry that you lost the restaurant, Jim. I know you put your heart and soul into it.
吉姆,很抱歉你损失了餐厅。我知道你全身心投入其中。

Now we are getting to the heart and soul of the matter. This feature is the heart and soul of my invention.
现在我们正进入问题的最重要的部分。这个特征是我发明的最核心的部分。

get one's feet wet    初次涉足;开始做(新鲜的事情)

I've only had a few cello lessons-I've barely gotten my feet wet.
我只上过几节大提琴课——我几乎还没开始。

At that time he was a young actor, just getting his feet wet.
那时他还是个年轻演员,才初出茅庐。


跟它们类似的还有 fight tooth and nail 或 fight tooth and claw,很明显它不能用作它的字面意思“战斗牙齿和指甲(爪子)”,它用来表示竭尽全力或激烈斗争等,例如:

She fought the guards tooth and nail as they escorted her out of the building.
当卫兵护送她走出大楼时,她与他们拼命搏斗。

The senator vowed to fight the proposal tooth and nail.
参议员发誓要坚决反对这项提议。

I want this job so I’m going to fight tooth and nail for it.
我想要这份工作,所以我要竭尽全力争取。

The independent regions are fighting tooth and nail to keep their special status.
各独立地区正竭尽全力保持其特殊地位。

These elite troops have been selected by the royal palace to fight tooth and claw against any possible invaders.
这些精锐部队被皇宫挑选出来与任何可能的入侵者进行殊死搏斗。


想必大家都想到了常见的 try one's best,它表示尽某人最大的努力做某事,它的延申版 do/try one's level best (to do sth) 也可以用来表示竭尽全力,例如:

I'll try my best to help them solve problems. 
我将尽最大的努力帮助他们解决问题。

I'll do my level best to bear it all. 
我将尽最大力量忍受一切。

I'll do my level best to get you a ticket. 
我将尽最大努力帮你弄到票子。

He has tried his level best to give up smoking.
他尽了最大的努力戒烟。


我们还可以使用 all out 来表示全力以赴或竭尽全力或努力奋斗,对应的形容词是 all-out,例如:

We're going all out to win.
我们竭尽全力争取胜利。

We will be going all out to ensure it doesn't happen again.

我们要全力保证此事不再发生。

You're going to have to give us an all-out effort in the next game if you want to stay on the team.
如果你想留在队里,你必须在下一场比赛中全力以赴。


词或词组辨析:

1. cello [ˈtʃeləʊ] 意为“大提琴”

2. elite [eɪˈliːt] 意为“精英,精英的”等

    转藏 分享 献花(0

    0条评论

    发表

    请遵守用户 评论公约

    类似文章 更多